anchorjoe

Splitting RS-232 to control two different PTZ protocols

Hey Everyone,

Is there anyone out here that has experienced or tested output control to two different PTZ camera's with a RS-232 (Com1) splitter? I have a client that ended up getting two different type PTZ camera's from my supplier (without knowing till after install), and I need to know if I can use the same com1 port for both. I already know that I will need to purchase and install a second GV-Net card to control the other camera, but I am now curious if I can use the same port to control both GV-net cards or if I need to use the com port for one card and use a USB to Serial adapter for the other.

Thanks for any quidance...

For reference, one camera is setup on the Pelco-D protocol and the other camera will need to be setup on the Lilin Merit protocol. Thus the need for two GV-Net cards. Thx.

Dear Anchorjoe,

Here is another thought....

One Pelco dome is using GV Net card and the other Lilin dome is using GV Com box... GV Com box is using USB interface; therefore, you don't have to worry about not enough com port problems...

I haven't tried the com port splitter.. Anyone here wanna share the experience?

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support, GeoVision Inc , Taiwan

+886-2-8797-8377 with extension 287

Andy,

Thanks for the reply and insight. I will keep this info handy for the next job I do. The particular client I was working on that I was wondering on this subject for is refusing to pay me for work completed so I am not going to do anymore work on this project. He can hire someone else to deal with his crap. I have over $1500 of my own money into the project that I will most likely not get back, so it becomes a mute point to actually worry about for this project..

Maybe next time... I agree, if there is anyone out there that has done the com port split for two different PTZ protocols I would love to hear about the results.. Thanks..

thats some sad news.

anyway there is also PCI expansions cards that will let you add 2or even 4 serial connectors.

I used it once when I had a mobo without serial on it and it worked good with GV.

I always try to stay away from USB, have reliability issues with it.

you can connect multiple dome's to one I/O board (using ONE serial port).

Only thing is that the PTZ should be using the same baudrate ! (that determines the speed, RS485 is basically a bus that you put messages on).

Downside:

Geovision in it's wisdom decided that as of version 8.2 you can not change the baudrate anymore per PTZ ! (older version's it was possible).

So now you have to to buy the USB adapters for each different dome and you can not atke advantage of better baudrates anymore. Still don't understand why they changed it.

It make sinstallation only more complex with more points to fail.

I had a Pelco and a Sensormatic on one I/O board but was forced to buy a USB adapter (worked super, both on 4800).