rwilsonie

Newbie-remote via ActiveX and Java

Hi

I'm relatively new to CCTV but work in IT and so amn't 100% lost ! . And I am hoping to start off in business in cctv for homer users.

Anyway, I have already set up a website using ddns (just found out I can't post the site yet ) But will post it as soon as I get more posts etc

It's an Avermedia 1504 Net DVR with two IR cameras (cam 2 conntected via wifi).

System works great and functionality of DVR is great. My issue is that I cannot view my cam here in work

It lets me install the ActiveX control but then it fails to connect. I thought maybe it was a port blocked but that wasn't the problem. I then thought work may block video streaming but I can stream from RogueMotorsports website fine (I can't give out site yet but it's easy to work out )

And I think this uses javascript to either install Activex or Java dependant on browser. And it uses an Axis IP cam.

So, my current system isn't going to be accessible to some users. I think

that the ActiveX control with my Avermedia DVR is too complex and work PC is blocking it from working. Whereas the Axis cam is a simpler interface and so, allowed to run. Could this be the case ?

So - the design part - I would like a system that has recording / pause / playback ability, can remote preview either via ActiveX control or Java. And the remote viewer must let me view multiple cams at the same time (suppose I could write up some html to stream 4 different cams into one window).

Any advice on how I can achieve the above ?

TIA

Rob

Is the PC on which you are trying to access the Aver webserver running Vista? I have been running into problems myself, with customers running Windows Vista and trying to access the Avermedias I have installed. I can take my laptop to a customers' location ( I am running Windows XP Pro) and have no problem downloading the ActiveX file, but customers are having issues with their 64 bit systems. Some, not all customers.

I'm afraid not - they're running XP-Pro.

What I am really after is a camera like the Axis - afaik, this has some javascript, which will either install an ActiveX control, or a Java app, depending on browser. This would mean it would be accessible to all the other browsers like Firefox, Opera etc and not just IE.

Anyone know a camera besides Axis, which can be rem otely viewed in this way ?

Ta

Rob

Hi cachecreekcctv to sort your problem with windows vista is to right click on internet explorer and run as anministrator then install active x this works 100% all the time and only needed to be done once.

You got me on that one. Tried this on my own laptop (Windows XP), and I guess I don't have a clue here. I will have to ask my 23 yo son if he can do this, as his new laptop is running Vista. My sons' laptop cannot access my Avermedia server at my home also. My sons' laptop cannot download the ActiveX file also. Need to figure this one out, as I think it is due to the difference between the 32 bit and the 64 bit OS's. I am an Industrial Electrician by trade, so the IT stuff I usually have to ask friends about.

I'm afraid not - they're running XP-Pro.

What I am really after is a camera like the Axis - afaik, this has some javascript, which will either install an ActiveX control, or a Java app, depending on browser. This would mean it would be accessible to all the other browsers like Firefox, Opera etc and not just IE.

Anyone know a camera besides Axis, which can be rem otely viewed in this way ?

Ta

Rob

There are many choices achieving the same functions, Axis is just one of them and probably best and most expensive one. Anyway, if you're planning your business, I think you can explore what your local customers want and choose those most competitive solutions.