I have been doing research into license plate recognition and found an administrator's manual from milestone that provided a very honest and detailed review of what you need to do to make it work: http://www.milestonesys.com/dl/XProtect%20Analytics%20LPR%2015a/Manuals/XPA15LPR_Administrators_Manual.pdf

I have also written an article summarizing and commenting on using LPR: http://ipvideomarket.info/review/show/16

There's a lot of hype especially about using LPR on PTZs or analyzing a license plate across a parking lot. The Milestone document pretty clearly shows that this is not realistic.

Where are you using LPR and what problems have you faced?

Used it once .. Extreme CCTV Camera ... not cheap and wasnt an IP camera. Used at a gated community entrance, pitch dark at night. worked perfectly.

Used it once .. Extreme CCTV Camera ... not cheap and wasnt an IP camera. Used at a gated community entrance, pitch dark at night. worked perfectly.

is there anything that works good for LPR that doesn't break the bank ?

My silly attempt at LPR made me realize that the camera has to deal with:

1. varying light intensities (outdoors)

2. glare off the license plate (also plastic plate covers)

3. off angle camera view

4. varying speeds of cars

5. IR at night and daylight require different approaches

my situation involved trying to get LP's on a private road, where cars can be travelling from 5-20+ mph. Where 20 mph is way too fast, but people probably do it.

the camera is mounted looking at the street from an angle (about 30-40 deg), and the FOV is about 60 deg.

We basically gave up on pursuing this part, but I still would like to know what would work well. maybe nothing ?

I have never seen a low cost camera solution that worked, especially with your conditions.

The Milestone article makes it pretty clear that your angle was too significant, your resolution was probably too low, and you might need to increase your shutter speed.

This is a big challenge with analytics. Lots of great sounding talk but then challenging details that don't come through.

Best,

John