eric9547

Motion Detection by Camera?

I apologize if this question is stupid but I have no experience with security camera's and the systems. When setting up a security system do the camera's have a built in motion detector or do you have to buy a seperate module so that it will trigger the camera to record?

I think I found the answer in another post. Please tell me if i'm wrong. Motion detection is by software so if the dvr has the feature it should do it right?

Motion detection would be built into the DVR. Some CCTV cameras with OSD's/Zoom occasionally have motion detection built in. IP cameras typically have it built in also.

I apologize if this question is stupid but I have no experience with security camera's and the systems. When setting up a security system do the camera's have a built in motion detector or do you have to buy a seperate module so that it will trigger the camera to record?

I think the main use for the camera's built in alarm input/outputs are for PTZ use. The camera has it's home position, which for me is my driveway, in a wide shot. if a person walks up the driveway, the DVR software detects and starts recording, the alarm circuit is not used, but when a person gets to my stairs/verandah. They trigger an external motion detector wired to the camera, which causes the camera to move to that preset position. I don't have any external alarm outputs setup , but they could be used to turn on a surveillance light or set off an audio alarm either for the home owner to gain their attention or external alarm to ward off the trespasser if they were in a location they shouldn't be in.

EDIT: I just realised you didn't' ask about alarm inputs/outputs. DVR recorders can be triggered by arlarm inputs from the camera detecting motion. instead of the software detecting motion. How well the on-camera motion detecting works would depend on the manufacturer. I've never used it for triggering a recorder. Could also be used for a buzzer