Sign in to follow this  
wooten83

StarLight technology camera?

Can anyone explain what is starlight technology please?

Here is an example of the camera I am referring to. THanks =)

How is it different from a day and night camera?

A friend of mine bought a "starlight technology" camera several years ago.

If I recall correctly, the camera works by integrating multiple image samples together and mathematically sums the information to get an image from a low light condition. Unfortunately this can result in strange images such as streaks et al.

A day/night camera works by either having a dedicated non-IR-blocking imaging camera combined with a daytime camera in the same housing, or by mechanically removing the daytime IR filter and usually switching the camera to b/w mode when the lighting conditions get too dark.

Personally I have found the latter to be inferior to a dedicated b/w camera.

I can't see a link to the starlight camera but I also suspect it uses the technology that videotiger mentions. It has a number of names, depending on the manufacturer, frame integration, slow shutter, sens up, digital slow shutter (DSS).

They all do the same thing. The camera keeps the shutter open for longer than 1/50s (1/60s NTSC). This allow the camera to see in less light but the downside is anything that moves will blur. Think Starship Enterprise going into warp. If you look at a still scene it looks great but anything that moves will not look so good.

Slow shutter is good for applications where you don't want to identify a face. For example watching a perimeter fence for intruders. It is unlikely that it will give you an image that you can use to identify a face.

Day/Night should give you low light performance close to that of a monochrome camera but with colour images during the day.

You can probably get a daynight camera with slow shutter.

I'm not a fan of slow shutter myself.