sf1964

is this good compression and recording image quality?

l am in nj,l did not pay close attention to the letters when ordering.How is the new model compared with this one and how is the compresion format (picture playback quality), l see various formats i.e wav,mjpeg,m2peg etc,lf you could clarify on this and also tell me if this is a good solid dvr l would appreciate it.

The Nuvico/Vitek lower cost units use Wavelet compression and although they are of high quality the compression is less than MPEG4. Wavelet is typically 15kb and MPEG4 is around 5. Both the standard and XG are good quality. The XG offers far faster recording speeds and more sophistication in menu options. Unless you need ultra high speed recording and many more bells and whistles you probably will find the Nuvico/Vitek to be acceptable for most stituations. Here is a list of the Vitek distributors around the country. I'm not sure who is carrying Nuvico. Vitek is also offering a free external CD/RW with the purchase of their DVR during the month of Dec & Jan. Not all distributors are aware of it yet so you should contact the factory first if you decide on ordering one. I don't think Nuvico is making the same offer.

http://www.vitekcctv.com/Distributors.asp

thanks for the info, much appreciated.How does the recording speed affect the playback quality of the picture? l am new to the forum but l have learned a lot from you guys,so this might seem like a silly sort of newbie question!!!

Recording speed does not affect quality of picture, only the number of frames you can capture per second. The more frames per second the smoother the playback motion, but the downside is you use up a lot more hard drive space.