machman

what is the best camera and dvr?

i currently have a system. 4 bullet cameras w/480 lines of hor res.

but it is good at only 40 ft night monitoring, the problem is that it is not clear enough, what i see on the monitor as i watch real time is not what i get after recording. so, is it the camera or the dvr. i want to catch the bad guys on my street. night time is when they come out and i need clarity. can someone help pleas.

i currently have a system. 4 bullet cameras w/480 lines of hor res.

but it is good at only 40 ft night monitoring, the problem is that it is not clear enough, what i see on the monitor as i watch real time is not what i get after recording. so, is it the camera or the dvr. i want to catch the bad guys on my street. night time is when they come out and i need clarity. can someone help pleas.

I have had the same problems,

Are your cameras CMOS or CCD, 1/4" or 1/3". I now use 1/3" CCD which are better quality. I also started off with ready made av/power cables from ebay which were ok but not brilliant, an improvement was made by using rg59 coax/power cable £30/100m on ebay .

The other problem I found was street lighting which affects the auto iris, so avoid pointing a camera towards a light.

a bullet camera with 480 tv lines sounds like an inexpensive camera. Its probably not a true day night and the B/W evening picture your getting is most likely a digitally filtered shot which returns alot of noise on the picture and less clarity.

What model cameras and DVR are you using? Identifying strangers from 40ft is also a tough task in itself. If they are neighborhood regulars, you might be able to identify but if they are from outside the neighborhood, your best bet is going to be vehicle description.

I would also more focus on your immediate property and identification rather than the street level.