Sign in to follow this  
foreverjne

Pixel burnout?

The color camera that I recently bought from Toshiba, IK-65WDA, displays a purple spot in very low light condition. In day light, the spot is brighter than the surrounding area but not too obvious. Their tech support insists that it's a pixel burnout and is not covered under the warranty. It's only when there are "excessive" burn outs that Toshiba would replace, and it's only at their discretion. Toshiba does not indicate anywhere in the printed information that comes with the camera what the number of burn outs are defined to be "excessive." The tech support mentioned 30 burn outs, but also said that Toshiba would not defined a specific number. Further, the tech support says that the CCD is not warrantied.

Is it the norm with the CCTV camera manufacturers that pixel burn outs are not warrantied, and in only if a large number of burn outs occur that the manufacturer would replace the camera?

foreverjne,

Pixel failure probably isn't as rare as we think, it's just that most people don't notice it with static cameras.

Coincidentally, I happened to be using a camera last week which turned out to have five pixel failures on the chip. It could be age, or it could be earlier abuse, but as the units about four years old, I guess I'll never know.

If a pix failure is obtrusive, then there is no reason at all why you shouldn't ask for the camera to be replaced. At the very least, it could be argued that the unit is less than perfect, and you might be able to squeeze a bit off the price.