Sign in to follow this  
brianoftheforum

First Outdooor Installation - some advice needed..

Hello,

I have a couple of questions -

doing my first outdoor installation in a few weeks and wanted to make sure i get everything as right as i can.

right now i have 4 camera positions with the drill hole and RG6 and 18/2 fed through the hole ready for the camera.

I have purchased 4 of the following cameras :

VC-CA-IR100-6 - Color Weatherproof Infrared Camera, Fixed Lens

from the home security store.

My first question is - once i have the camera wired up , and mounted - do i seal the small hole in the wall with waterproof sealent or use some type of grommet , any suggestions appreciated.

Secondly as far as the connections go - is it better to provide a wall mounted box for the connection points to go into- any recomendations for these? or do you try and get teh connection points into the camera housing?

Is there anything i need to get to provide additional protection to any of the wire that is exposed to the elements?

thankyou for any help or sugestions

Hello,

I have a couple of questions -

doing my first outdoor installation in a few weeks and wanted to make sure i get everything as right as i can.

right now i have 4 camera positions with the drill hole and RG6 and 18/2 fed through the hole ready for the camera.

I have purchased 4 of the following cameras :

VC-CA-IR100-6 - Color Weatherproof Infrared Camera, Fixed Lens

from the home security store.

My first question is - once i have the camera wired up , and mounted - do i seal the small hole in the wall with waterproof sealent or use some type of grommet , any suggestions appreciated.

Secondly as far as the connections go - is it better to provide a wall mounted box for the connection points to go into- any recomendations for these? or do you try and get teh connection points into the camera housing?

Is there anything i need to get to provide additional protection to any of the wire that is exposed to the elements?

thankyou for any help or sugestions

First Question: I use silicone when going into the side of a building or home. But don't overdue it as you can make it look horrible if you put to much or not work if you put to little.

Second Question: This strongly depends on the camera itself as if you do not have room in the housing then you would want them in a plastic electrical box. If you do have room then always put the connection in the cameras housing but do not compromise the cameras weather resistant capabilities.

Anything else? Well depends on how far you want to take it, you could use like a conduit type to put the wire in or depending on how you ran the wire use those small "clamps" that the cable company uses to clamp the wire every 5-10ft and keep it all straight.

Goodluccccccccck,

John

thanks for the tips -

one more question -

When crimping the dc cable together - is it better to use insulated b connectors, twist on connectors or Scotchlok URs (though i havnt found ones for 18awg)

and regards to the outside boxes - any particular brands /types recomended>?

thanks again

thanks for the tips -

one more question -

When crimping the dc cable together - is it better to use insulated b connectors, twist on connectors or Scotchlok URs (though i havnt found ones for 18awg)

and regards to the outside boxes - any particular brands /types recomended>?

thanks again

Outdoor boxes like http://tinyurl.com/57zdcb if you cannot make your connections inside of the camera. The boxes for outdoor tho only use those if you can't get the cable connectors into the housing. Also you can pick them up at like... Home Depot or Lowes.

B series connectors should work fine http://tinyurl.com/5q2amy or if you get time solder/heat shrink it. (I <3 Soldering)

Goodluck,

John