hoostine

help with DVR decision, details inside!

i've been tasked with purchasing and setting up a dvr system for security. we have 4 buildings on property, with fiber between them (10/100 switch to 100mbit -> fiber adapters to fiber -> 100mbit adapters to 10/100 switch). i'm looking for a max of 8 cameras, including 2 ip cameras. i'd like to have a dvd-rw also. we do have an alarm system with infrared intrusion beam thingie along the back of the property, sensors on 1 of 3 gates, and most doors, and 2 front gates unguarded.

i assume baluns could replace the 2 ip cameras if need be... i think we have a few copper runs empty between buildings, but i'd prefer not to use them if possible due to lightning issues.

we have a rack here that would make a good home for the dvr system. pc based is preferable since i'm the (only) IT guy. i have no os preference for the dvr, but our systems here are mixed linux(xen, openfiler, and debian) and windows server. building the system myself is a definate possibility and i'm currently browsing hardware and 4u cases.

are the different softwares that come with dvr cards basically the same quality wise? do they all support ip cameras and regular cameras?

does anyone have any recommendations?

hardware wise i was thinking a core2duo or quad, and soft raid5 setup. how much space does the typical dvr require to store video? MB/hr? GB/day? h.264 is smaller but $$$ right?

we're looking to spend between $2200 and $2800 for the system and 4 cameras for now.

mods: please move this if it's in the wrong forum.

Most of the softwares that come with DVR boards do not support both IP cameras and CCTV cameras together...unless it specifically mentions that it supports both, being 'Hybrid'. Those Hybrid DVR boards are still hard to find.

8ch DVR with 120 frames per second recording in MPEG4 compression would consume about 1.7GB per hour in standard quality, CIF resolution.

One with H264 hardware compression (240 frames per second recording) would consume about 1GB per hour, and yes, they are more costly, about two times more.

Hi,

I have been challanged with similar jobs. Separate buildings with only fiber connectivity. Have had great success using Versitron's Fiber Transceivers. Also have used their product for bi-directional video/data fiber traffic for PTZ cameras. I have deployed thier 4 channel product with excellent results. As long as you have 1 fiber available, you can haul all of your analog video to your DVR.

I personally like stand alone DVR's as opposed to PC based. Just my opinion. As far as H.264 storage... Many factors play into this answer, frame rates, resolution, recording 24/7 or motion only etc. Can say you will get more archiving with H.264.

Your budget seems a bit light considering your task and info provided.

Good Luck and I hope this info has helped.

Thanks

Mike