all-eyes-open

Newbie is clueless and needs guidance!!

Hello all!! Wow, this will be a second forum (other is hot tubs) that I will be on!!

Here is my scenario--we live in a nice residential neighborhood that includes you garden variety teens that like to cause trouble--I know things could be worse--no one is getting shot at, but I also don't want anything stolen again, or my house tick tacked without proof on who did it.

SO, my hubby and I are looking into wireless systems--we both have decided we like the Astak wireless system for $179 on Walmart. We would like a DVR and a monitor of sorts to hook it up.

Me, being a chick and all--thinks that a TV/Monitor is going to show what the cables connected tell it to show--that if we want 4 channels (we do) to show up, all it depends on is cables,... Now, we have no real expert in our area to 'splain all this.

Nutshell--I want 4 cameras, which will include 2 receivers, a DVR and a monitor---can I just purchase ANY dvr/monitor/tv?? Will I need specific cables?? Or, do I need specific items that can show 4 channels on screen, that will be able to record each screen vs all 4 at one time?? (yes, motion activated would be nice).

Thanks, I will have to keep reading==I just found this forum!!

All help is super-duper appreciated---

eyes

Hello all!! Wow, this will be a second forum (other is hot tubs) that I will be on!!

Here is my scenario--we live in a nice residential neighborhood that includes you garden variety teens that like to cause trouble--I know things could be worse--no one is getting shot at, but I also don't want anything stolen again, or my house tick tacked without proof on who did it.

SO, my hubby and I are looking into wireless systems--we both have decided we like the Astak wireless system for $179 on Walmart. We would like a DVR and a monitor of sorts to hook it up.

Me, being a chick and all--thinks that a TV/Monitor is going to show what the cables connected tell it to show--that if we want 4 channels (we do) to show up, all it depends on is cables,... Now, we have no real expert in our area to 'splain all this.

Nutshell--I want 4 cameras, which will include 2 receivers, a DVR and a monitor---can I just purchase ANY dvr/monitor/tv?? Will I need specific cables?? Or, do I need specific items that can show 4 channels on screen, that will be able to record each screen vs all 4 at one time?? (yes, motion activated would be nice).

Thanks, I will have to keep reading==I just found this forum!!

All help is super-duper appreciated---

eyes

Generally to display four cameras on a single monitor, the DVR requires a multiplexer. Most of the time that's pretty standard but from what you're discussing....you're shopping at the low end. So what ever you go with, make sure check the features to see if a multiplexed output is on the list.

And since you're going with wireless, have you guys planned how you're going to get power to those locations?

Thomas--good name, BTW--

Thanks for your reply, though I need to be sure, I have noticed some wireless systems can run from a 9 volt battery--I know I'd be going through alot of batteries then.

On that note, do wired systems require an electrical outlet for each camera as well, or does the cable (Siamese?) supply the power?? I am guessing the latter is the answer.

I do have a nurse I work with whose new hubby does wiring for sound systems and such, I think I may talk to her about pricing install for a wired system, we have attic accessibility to the room where the monitoring would be, but through drywall. But the attic doesn't extend to parts of the house that would also need wired. I also have calls to ADT and Guardian, since I cannot seem to find a local dealer just in security systems--if there are some in the Pgh PA area, let me know, all!!

I know this may be a loaded question, but here goes, and I have the general scenario as well played out under "DVR'S" too, sorry--

What are the brands to look at out there? Seems Lorex has good comments on sites Ihave been on, Swann seems to have a love it or hate it rep by comments I've read. Since I am currently eyeing the Astak system--curious on their rep. Again, looking to be under $1000/complete.

Thanks, all, for bearing with me, I know I still need to read more. Gotta get back to work, in the meantime!!

--eyes--