Hi there,

I’ve recently had some issues with kids and my car on my driveway and I’m looking to setup some CCTV to keep an eye on it.

I’ve rather a computer based solution rather than a dedicated DVR as this gives me more scope to do stuff with the captured data and i’m a TI guy so the setup of the software/networking shouldn’t be a problem for me.

Also ‘thinking’ an IP solution would be best for me as analogue would required a capture card and then leaving another PC on in the house 24/7. I already have a small home server setup on he network with plenty of available storage so I could hopefully utilise that.

So on with the questions:-

• 1) Can feeds from an IP camera be dumped/saved to a local network share?
    2) What sort of bandwidth would be looking at for one camera?
    3) I think the placement for the camera would need to be in the eves of the house or at least out of reach from anyone. Therefore for night viewing would an additional IR flood light be advised (car is 10-12 meters away from the eves)?
    4) Is there a big difference between the lower and higher priced cameras? I’m happy to adjust my budget if needed.
    5) Anyone had any experience with this camera:- Aviosys IR IP Kamera 9060-O (Sorry cant post a link)
    6) Lastly (sorry for all the questions) anyone recommend a camera/setup for this purpose?

If only need one camera you may want to consider using an IP camera with onboard storage so you don't need to run any applications on a PC at all.

you might go for something like the ACTi ACM-1231

comes with free s/w, and is in an outdoor housing w/ IR

if you go cheap on the cameras, you get poor performance that is the main difference.

1 camera on a home network should work fine.

if you go cheap on the cameras, you get poor performance that is the main difference.

Good stuff, thanks.

So will this camera save to a network share?

Good stuff, thanks.

So will this camera save to a network share?

most ip cameras will ftp images, but you have to have ftp server running.

I don't think you can just save to a network file storage.

Does anyone know anything about this camera:-

"Camdeor High Resolution 30m Day/Night IP Camera With POE"

(again can't post a link)

I'm still trying to work out the differences between a camera that costs £150 and one thats £350, yes I would assume the more expensive cameras are better but if the cheaper ones do all that I need them for I would be happy to go for them.

1) Can feeds from an IP camera be dumped/saved to a local network share?

A) In most cases yes and some webservers/encoders and IP Cameras support dual streaming so you could have one bandwdth to one IP and another to the next IP.

2) What sort of bandwidth would be looking at for one camera?

A) Thats an open ended question, depends on compression, the amount of I and P frames, Frame rates, resolution.

3) I think the placement for the camera would need to be in the eves of the house or at least out of reach from anyone. Therefore for night viewing would an additional IR flood light be advised (car is 10-12 meters away from the eves)?

A) Not unless your camera supports capturing IR light by removing an IR filter, or its black and white, to be honest most (and wait for the flames) IP cameras arent real good in low light, especially any that have a CMOS chip...take your mobile ph camera CMOS and compare that to a CCD security camera...big difference....if you want low light performance why not go for n analogue day/night cam with IR Cut Filter and then just plug it into a single channel IP encoder?

4) Is there a big difference between the lower and higher priced cameras? I’m happy to adjust my budget if needed.

A) HELL YES!!!! and not just in performance, reliability is the biggest issue, this device will run 24/7 so it needs to be of good quality.

5) Anyone had any experience with this camera:- Aviosys IR IP Kamera 9060-O (Sorry cant post a link)

A) Sorry I havent

6) Lastly (sorry for all the questions) anyone recommend a camera/setup for this purpose?

A) For low light performance an analogue SDIII from Panasonic or an XF 495 from Bosch, plugged into a dual streaming encoder with one high bandwdth stream for local record and 1 x low bandwidth for remote viewing.

hope this helps