hotdog08

DM ECO9 HARD DISK FAILURE

DM ECO9 HARD DISK FAILED, ERROR MESSAGE "DISK PROBLEM - MAY BE WRONG FAT VERSION, SUGGEST USING A MONITOR TO REFORMAT IT"

PLEASE HELP ON THIS ,HOW CAN I REPLACE A NEW ONE AND LOAD THE OS BACK ON ,THANKS.

Search around... there are a few threads on this forum that tell you how to replace a hard drive in the DM units. I learned how to repair my unit on this very forum.

Some newer units require you to send it back to dedicated micros, but some of the older ones can be replaced by the user (though it voids your warranty). If it's out of warranty, and you're sufficiently adept, you might take a crack at it yourself.

I recently voided my warranty by messing around with my DS2... but I did manage to go from a single 160gb drive to two 320gb drives (for a total of 600+gb of storage, and the cost of two seagate DVR hard drives). It was better than paying DM >$1000 bucks for the same job.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't WANT to void my warranty... I only did this after spending an incredible amount of time on the phone to DM attempting to find out where/how to send my DVR in for a hard drive upgrade. DM sent me to this dealer, who sent me to that dealer, who referred me to this service center (who said they couldn't do it, and directed me someplace else ) I finally was quoted about $1200 dollars for replacing the single drive, and I'd be without my DVR for about three weeks.

Keep in mind, this DVR was an Ebay acquisition for about $1500 dollars. I couldn't see paying almost what I paid for it just to get a little more space.

When you open up the DVR, you'll find that it takes a standard PATA hard drive. Unless you're feeling bold, you'd probably be best served by replacing the drive with a like brand and size. As I recall the basic procedure, you can pull the old drive, slap it into an external USB enclosure, and see if it can be read. If it can, you can copy the necessary files off of it, and copy them onto a formatted replacement drive.

Some DM units keep the OS and some boot files on the hard drive itself, while other DM units have the OS on a flash disk that plugs into the main circuit board. If yours keeps required files on the disk, you can try to copy them. If the disk is corrupted and unreadable, you can download the files from DM's website, and copy them to your new drive yourself.

As I say, this question has been asked here before... you might try the forum search function to see what you can find.

Good luck.