sclcon

Avermedia DVR Card or Standalone

Can anyone state the pros and cons between a dvr card and a standalone?

I'm primarily interested in the Avermedia SA6000E Pro and the NV6480EXP Card.

Thanks!

As a newbie to the security field and with a twenty year history in the computer field, (Commodore 64 and Heathkits) my first move was to go the DVR card route until I saw the resources needed to get the card to work right. From a business person point of view it is very hard to sell a PC base dvr to my target market (low income/budget minded. I sell more standalones and yet my remote video surveillance system is a Aver Media NV5000 DVR card system and man it is sweet. Their support is great and E/U ease of use you could be blind folded and still get it setup right. However, the system requirements are high, my box has a 3.0 cpu, 2 gigs of ram, 512 video card and a TB hard drive, and their tech said I just met the minimum. The other problems for PCbase DVR's Virus & Spyware, PC configuration and the end user wanting to use it for other applications while recording video.

Thanks for that info. I am also a newbie to this.

I'm currently using the EB1304NET. It's a great unit however, limited as it does not offer masking and individual camera recording control. I'm finding the motion sensor is constantly triggered to record empty video even on the lowest sensitivity level. I'm wondering if the higher end Avermedia DVRSA6000E or NV6480E card would be the same.

If I use a PC based dvr with a dedicated PC, is it as easy to set up as a standalone? Is there more flexibility and options in a pc dvr?

I constantly use the remote console but I'm not quite sure how the portforwarding for a pc dvr would work.

Any comments on the standalone SA6000E vs the NV6480E card would be greatly appreciated.