Sign in to follow this  
orangefish

GVI bullet camera and near IR filter question

I have this bullet camera (by GVI, GV-BCC825 ... sorry, not able to put URLs yet). Its specs say it has Day/Night near IR pass filter. What does that actually mean? They actually have a filter that lets through only visible and near IR wavelengths? It has 24 near IR LEDs, 850 nm, that work in dark conditions.

I called up GVI to ask if the sensor of the camera is covered by a near IR filter during bright light conditions and uncovered during dark condition. The guy wasn't sure what I meant, he asked somebody and all he could say was the camera does not come with any filters. I am think he might be meaning that the camera does not have any filters mounted at the front.

Also, I know that in general CCD cameras come with near IR cut filter (usual still and video cameras). These cameras have a thin near IR filter cut filter placed right on top of the CCD sensor. The security cameras which can work in dark conditions using near IR LEDs should not have this little filter, right? What is the industry practice regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

HS.