Merlin2000

Logitech Orbit for Security?

I have a Logitech Orbit web camera and wanted to setup some sort of cheapo security system with it.

Ideally, I would like to be able to view the camera online (outside of my home network) and upload either video or still images of movement (it supports motion detection).

What's the least expensive way to achieve this with decent quality?

I know Logitech has a Command Center program that lets you control everything, however, their website says you need to use their specific surveillance cameras in order for that software to work.

What's the next best thing here? I have an FTP site I can upload images to (I'd rather not save them to my computer).

On most DVR's there is an inbuilt web server, this is software to allow you to watch the video through a browser, you dont have to have a full DVR to do this, you could buy a small box that does the same purpose.

For example if I was watching an EPL game on ym television and wanted to let a mate in Mexico watch it, I could take the video from the telly and plug it into the 1ch Web Server and provide the Mexico person with an IP from which to view the video through his browser.

So any (well not any) video output device, even analogue can be fed inot a web server and then you can configure it for remote access, this is also a cheap way to turn an analogue CCTV camera into an IP camera!