Benichembla

ftp and email from DVR without a PC??

Hi

I almost parted with my ££ till I asked a question about IP addresses/ftp/and e-mail alerts.

To be told to get e-mail alerts and have footage ftp'd to a web address I would need to have my PC connected and switched on at all times!

Is this correct? I was looking at a Avetec761 or 782

If the above is correct is there a DVR that can send alerts and/or ftp without a PC?

Thanks

I was confused to say the least, the question I asked the chop was:-

1, :- I have looked at the DVR´s and like the look at the Realtime 761 and 782 could you advise what is the main differance appart from the 782 has a DVD Writer. Or would recommend something different, my requirements are 3/4 cameras 2 Day/Night IR, 1, small covert and 1 Dome, I do need FTP and e-mail alert, DVD writer is not a requirement but if it has then no worries.

There reply was:-

761 has usb, 782 has usb & dvd for back up, both models support ftp & email via software, which must be run from a pc (windows).

the pc must be switched on all the time.

Hi Thanks again for your reply, agree it does sound confusing.

I am a first time CCTV'er, never had the need for it till we got broke into 3 weeks ago, I am 90% sure who it was but proving it is another matter, had I had a CCTV then the matter would have been delt with by now, but that's another story.

Basically what I need is a 4 camers system, with 1or2 to have the ability to ftp to a web server and/or email me when motion is detected.

Looking at the two links below I thought they would both cover my needs, untill the joker at the shop said I needed my PC on at all times!

You'r or any other comments/advice would be much appriciated.

Altho I am new to CCTV I am fairly confident with PC and Networking, there is alot to learn about CCTV in such a short space of time, before they come back for the stuff I am replacing that they took the first time.

Living in Spain it is almost impossible to get any information locally.

These were the two DVR's I was looking at! Will they cover my requirements? Sorry unable to post site so you will have to cut and paste and add the w's

henrys.co.uk/cctv/cctvcameradigitalvideorecorder.htm

henrys.co.uk/cctv/cctvvideorecorder.htm

It looks as if the email alert and uploading image to FTP are done at the DVR itself, not PC program. If so, your PC would not need to be on all time. The only PC that does need to be on all time would be the FTP server PC. Couldn't that be what the joker at the shop meant?

The more I look into it I think you are correct on two counts,

1 the DVR it's self, it looks as if it will do what I want, send me an e-mail etc and

2, The Joker, I think I will look for another shop imagin what I would get if I needed Tec support.

I would not rely on motion detection to alert you....too many false emails.....shadows will be seen as motion, use a hardware detector if your dvr supports I/O connections..I couldn't look as replying from my phone

Thanks for that, I will look at the DVR.

Wouldn't be relying on the alerts, I now have an Alarm that TXT's my phone, but that's only on Entry or attempted entry, just interested on knowing before they get to that point.

But I will check if the DVR supports O/o connection, if not it's worth spending that bit extra to get one that does....

Thanks again, am learning alot quickly..

More importantly the DVR will depend on access to a standard outgoing email server, not an secured one on a different port. Some ISP's block the standard port although they should open it for you if requested.

I've used the FTP and it's reliable but it will only give you a number of initial (and tiny) images. Don't rely on this as a backup to someone stealing your DVR!

The motion detection should work reliably if indoors and curtains drawn. Mine only screws up when the sun shines directly into the camera or a bird flys by!