GlynH

GV800 4-Cam - expand or upgrade?

Hi there,

I have an underused Geovision GV800 v3 (USB Keypro dongle) running software v7 4-Cam card and am thinking of expanding a little by buying a PTZ camera to replace 2 of my existing fixed ones.

What will I need to control my planned PTZ camera?

I may also want to add an IP camera in the future and am not sure if my existing setup is capable of supporting it?

Is it even worth continuing with my 'old' v7 setup?

It would be good to keep my existing computer Dual 3GHz Xeon, 4GB RAM, 2TB so that would mean I am restricted to using a PCI slot for the card.

I am more than a little disappointed with Geovision in that I have upgraded my software, added the green USB Keypro dongle and because of a problem of piracy I have now been 'locked out' from upgrading to v8.

This in itself makes me want to move away from Geovision but I do not want to 'cut my nose to spite my face' if it is still the best solution.

I am though a little tired of the 'toytown' feel of the various programs that make up the Geovision Suite - it seems to me each module was programmed by different people locked in their bedrooms unable to communicate with each other so ending up without a common theme.

Is v8 any different in this respect or should I consider alternatives?

Are there any alternatives?

Thanks & regards,

-=Glyn=-

If I were you I would stay with V7 I don't think v8 worth the trouble if you have v7 setup already.

You'll need the GV-Net card or Net I/O card for controlling your PTZ.

I think you won't be able to use IP cams with V7 but I could be 100% wrong about that.

as for the executable party in the suite things are pretty much the same. any exe found in their labs find its way to the install folder

the first time I installed GV and noticed that I said to myself "WTF, a company is worth few millions and cant even have their engineers sorting directories?"

I guess it like "Chan Zee, do u have another exe I can through in there?"

but bottom line is that they are the best out there so far...so bit your tong and move along...