bunny

GV1480 Poor Video Quality 5 or more cameras

I am a newbie to these forums so please bear with me...

I'm having problems with video quality when installing cameras to a GV1480 card. I install 1, 2, 3, 4, cameras and video quality is beautiful but when I add all 16 cameras to the system video quality is horrible. Lots of flickering and lines.

I figured there was some kind of interference but I can't figure out what it is.

I thought maybe it was the power supply so I changed it and am now using 2 power supplies.

Nothing improved.

It works fine for up to 4 cameras but as soon as I add the fifth the video quality is horrible.

Please help!

What happens when you leave out the fifth camera.

Are you mixing colour + B/W cameras.

Are you sure the 2x power supplies are more than sufficient to run all cameras. (always use at least 20%more milliamp's than recommended.

Do they get increasingly worse as you connect more cameras.

Are you using inferred cameras, as they draw more current.

Perhaps you have aground loop? Try a ground loop isolator. I find combo cards are more sensitive to this then the GV800's.

Dear 501 & All,

My problem almost the same symptom as mention by ‘Bunny’. Not sure how your problem been solved?

I saw you message on 'Try a ground loop isolator', how should I doing that?

Is that just pull a grounding wire connect to backplane on GV1480 PCI metal plate? Or should I only grounding all together on the BNC connector that connect to the port? I try to use separate (individual adaptor) & 16 channels power distributor for each of the camera, no help. Same symptom.

BTW, my system detail as below:

-GV-1480

-Windows 7 - 32bit (Geovision V8.4)

-Motherboard Gigabyte (Model need to check again)

-Pentium i3

-Onboard Graphic

-4G RAM

The picture as attach is the example what I am facing right now. It’s showing 2 camera with same horrible symptom. The more camera you connect into the card, the fastest the poor quality will be. Let me know any further info i need to provide. Pls help!

Rgds,

Tae

Camera1.JPG.8a1d7c929e3cd5469874c127e0702f47.JPG

Camera2.JPG.c8c5415d3606af0e0e369b1ee5dfc237.JPG

The picture as attach is the example what I am facing right now. It’s showing 2 camera with same horrible symptom. The more camera you connect into the card, the fastest the poor quality will be.

This really suggests a ground-loop issue. The problem occurs when you have multiple ground paths from a camera to the DVR, and it's particularly bad with cheap 12VDC cameras that share a ground connection between the video and power.

What are these cameras attached to? Are they mounted to something metal? That can create a ground loop right there...

Thank for reply.

Yes, you’re right.

The more camera connect into it, the fastest the poor quality will be.

But the camera eventually is a good quality camera, the picture quality is sharp. I don’t know, maybe I am not that expert in this area.

The site is *www.inox.com.my (it’s down for construction at this moment)

But last time I don’t have this problem.

But some of those weatherproof IR camera come with the stand metal bracket & recently I also getting a number of new IR Dome which the body is metal too.

So what should I do?

Kind of frustrated been keeping changing this & that but problem can't be solve.

Ground loops don't care about the quality of the camera. Cheaper cameras are MORE susceptible to them, but even expensive cameras can get them from poor mounting or wiring.

ok...so this mean the grounding loop cannot be resolve & no way to overcome this from end user at all?

*facepalm*

No. It means you need to determine the source(s) or cause(s) of the ground loop, and correct it/them.

First thing, again, is to see if any of the cameras are mounted to metal objects. If so, and those objects are grounded (metal house siding, poles, etc.), that can create mis-matched ground paths between the camera, its power supply, and the DVR.

You can also try ground-loop isolators, which are devices that are inserted in the signal line to separate their ground connections... but those can be expensive, and are technically a "band-aid" repair, as opposed to actually finding and eliminating the problem.

Soundy, Thanks for your input & it's really valuable to someone who facing the problem like me.

i will check out & adding more grounding. what is the suitable measurement tool that i can use to measure this so call Gounding Loop? if i use multimeter, i think i can only measure the connectivity & resistance?

Any good Gounding-Loop Isolator to recommend?

Try the card in a totally different computer.

What are you using to power the cameras?

Does this problem occur if not connected to the DVR?

I will try different computer this weekend.

Initially using separate adaptor for each of the cameras. Even try to use 16channels cctv power distributor. Same result.

Last night i did try, i connect the camera into the TV AV input, the camera seem to be good quality. No ground loop.

Seem like the GV-1480 card itself got problem? how to further confirm the card got problem or not?

if different computer also same problem, can this conclude card itself got problem?

Yeah the card or even the pigtails. Are these the pigtails that came with it? Also are you trying to extend the pigtails at all with any kind of VGA cable - Ive had similar video before when trying that with Geo. And make sure you are using the correct format for your area, eg. PAL or NTSC.

The pigtails here mean the wire with VGA connector to BNC which come along with the Geo card right? correct me if i am wrong.

Yes, the correct format been us (PAL).

hi rory & all,

I swaping the card to other PC, the result is still the same.

Furthermore i did try to connect the camera direct to TV AV, the result is good. but to GV card really poor quality.

i will send for repair.

Thanks for everyone input & advice.

Appreciate that very very much.

You still haven't eliminated the possibility of a ground-loop. If that is your issue, a new card will have the same problem. Connecting directly to a TV won't show the problem, any more than connected a single camera to the DVR does. Using a different PC won't alleviate the problem either.