The Patman

Can I upgrade DVR card without software issues?

Hey guys, my first post here. Up until now I've been able to find all the answers I need without actually asking a question, but now only experience can help me.

So Here goes.

I've got a guy using a GV800-4 on Geovision 8.11. A couple of years old to be sure, but we've tweaked the system till it works as good or better than any system I service. Very reliable.

Now he needs more cameras than his GV800 can support.

Here's the question...in 3 parts...

1) can I turn it off, pop in a GV1240-16 turn it back on and be down the road, with no software issues (I would disable the GV800 through control panel, then I assume windows XP Pro will ask for a driver, which I assume I can get from the original disk...)

2) or MUST I upgrade to version 8.2 and go through the whole "uninstall - reinstall" thing?

3) If I MUST do the uninstall-reinstall thing, any tips? Like I said we have done lots of tweaking to get it just right. I really hate to loose it. If there's a link to this same discussion I didn't see it and would accept any links or help on this before I get into this.

Thanks for the help over the past couple of years, and in the future.

I'm not a Geo guy, but, with the cost of Servers so low..........why would you even consider placng a larger processing monster inside a low end PC that is providing you critical video security?

I understand the cost savings, but, I never understand why some try to cut corners on the main recorder processing? I've even seen professional installers use the lowest available PC inorder to increase they proffit which kills me..............

ust my opinion..............if your upgrading hardware.............always aim higher than requirements and you'll be happier.

I'm not a Geo guy, but, with the cost of Servers so low..........why would you even consider placng a larger processing monster inside a low end PC that is providing you critical video security?

I understand the cost savings, but, I never understand why some try to cut corners on the main recorder processing? I've even seen professional installers use the lowest available PC inorder to increase they proffit which kills me..............

ust my opinion..............if your upgrading hardware.............always aim higher than requirements and you'll be happier.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a first time poster.

Perhaps I mispoke, the client needs expanded camera capabilities to cover the two new hangars that were commissioned last week.

When I built his computer, I gave him a terabyte of SATA drives on a Supermicro board, with dual - dual core processors, 8gb of ram, and 512mb nVidia video card all in a 800 watt rack mount case and running XP Pro. It's dedicated to video. It's expensive and stone reliable on GeoVision 8.11.

It's at an airport ... 24/7... and downtime is an issue. Not the cost of the upgrade.

So then, I ask again, as I've only replaced DVR boards with like boards from a failure, and not to upgrade...

Must I reload the entire software package in order to go from a GV800-4 to a GV1240-16 ?

Is there a recommended quick ( not cheap ) way to accomplish this?

If I really absolutely need to reload the software, I'll go to 8.2 if you old timers think the bugs are out of it. 8.11, and on other systems, 8.12 are stone stable.

Downtime...in minutes and seconds...is the issue, not expense.

I'd like to try to make this swap Sunday morning at about 1 am ... so if anyone has advice...

again, I'm not a geo, but...most software has a place to save the config file(s) so you can do what your are attempting without too much hassel.........

Do you have a spare 16 cam recorder you could put in place while you are doing the upgrade? This way there is almost no downtime?

Hello Patman,

You must do...

3) If I MUST do the uninstall-reinstall thing.

Uninstall V8.11 driver and software then restart PC.

Install v8.2 driver and software for GV1240.

Then reboot the computer.

Sincerely,

Andy Chen, GeoVision Technical Support.