Hi guys, i would like to ask thos experts...how long can coaxial cable support up to? what cable / method should i use if my destination from cameras to a DVR range is about 300 - 400m ? Is there any hardware like switch for coaxial ? Please assist me Thank You.

http://www.ikegami.com/cb/products/pdf/tech/simplesystem.pdf

Make sure your coax has a solid copper center conductor and copper braided shielding. There should be no aluminum nor steel used by the cable.

If you're using siamese cable, the ikegami document doesn't apply--the run lengths are much shorter for the power conductors due to voltage drop.

I can't make heads or tails out of this question, "Is there any hardware like switch for coaxial ?"

-dw

Make sure your coax has a solid copper center conductor and copper braided shielding. There should be no aluminum nor steel used by the cable.

If you're using siamese cable, the ikegami document doesn't apply--the run lengths are much shorter for the power conductors due to voltage drop.

I can't make heads or tails out of this question, "Is there any hardware like switch for coaxial ?"

-dw

hi wattwire, Thanks for your useful answer... sry for my bad english. what im trying to ask is, is there any hardware can be define as a " booster" for coaxial cable? eg: the max length of cat5e is about 80m--100m right? how abt coaxial cable?if the coaxial reaches it limitation, is there any hardware to boost it?i want to know the max length coaxial cable can be apply to a long distance between camera and monitor/ DVR. Thank You.

I think you got some bad info about the range of Cat5e (or Cat6) video transmission using passive baluns. Or perhaps you left off some 0s The range is greater than that of coax. If you use active baluns, the range jumps well over 1km. Yes there amplifiers for coax but GENERALLY (others can pipe in) the strategy for long runs in order of distance is:

1) Coax

2) Cat5e with passive baluns,

3) Cat5e with active baluns or fiber.

4) Long range microwave (wireless)

The best thing is for getting help in this forum is to state your scenario:

0) What is the general environment (new construction, commercial building, private property, in the jungle, on a farm, etc.) Also the climate can be a factor if the cable to be run outdoors.

1) How long is the distance between cameras & recording equipment?

2) What is the distance between cameras and power source?

good luck, -dw

I think you got some bad info about the range of Cat5e (or Cat6) video transmission using passive baluns. Or perhaps you left off some 0s The range is greater than that of coax. If you use active baluns, the range jumps well over 1km. Yes there amplifiers for coax but GENERALLY (others can pipe in) the strategy for long runs in order of distance is:

1) Coax

0) What is the general environment (new construction, commercial building, private property, in the jungle, on a farm, etc.) Also the climate can be a factor if the cable to be run outdoors.

good luck, -dw

Hello, Wow...Thanks again wattwire. Ok.. Actually i would like to set up CCTV system for my house ( inside the house and house compound ). The distance between cameras and the recording equipments is about 250 meter , 450meters far ,maybe some of them further....And can you roughly explain what is Cat5e with passive baluns and Cat5e with active baluns ? Thank You

1) Coax

good luck, -dw

Hello, Wow...Thanks again wattwire. Ok.. Actually i would like to set up CCTV system for my house ( inside the house and house compound ). The distance between cameras and the recording equipments is about 250 meter , 450meters far ,maybe some of them further....And can you roughly explain what is Cat5e with passive baluns and Cat5e with active baluns ? Thank You

In the simplest terms, video baluns are small devices that allow the use of UTP cable to transmit baseband video which is the output from security cameras. Baluns work in pairs--one is connected at each end of the cable and usually has a bnc connector to connect to the camera and DVR/monitor. The terms passive and active could be substituted for the "non-amplified and amplified". I do not necessarily endorse this company, but Active-Vision has a selection of baluns for sale and also provides more information:

http://www.active-vision.com/Video_Balum_s/35.htm?gclid=COe_oqzJ6ZYCFQv7agodkheIPg

Here is an article on what UTP is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unshielded_twisted_pair#Unshielded_twisted_pair_.28UTP.29

There is lots and lots of discussion about using coax vs. UTP. In general, the advantage of UTP is that the cable itself is cheaper and smaller in diameter making it easier to work with. Note, the savings in the cable itself may be offset by the cost of the baluns! Coax is heavier and tougher. My opinion that it is more reliable based on the fact that there are fewer connections and the strength/durability of the cable. Fewer connections for coax because a balun requires two at each end--the wires going into the balun and the balun connecting to the video device. Having said all that, I use both UTP and coax depending on the circumstances.

-dw

ps, you never mentioned how far your run lengths are for supplying power to the cameras. Don't overlook the requirement to power the cameras. Improperly powered cameras is one of the main sources of CCTV trouble.