cctvnew4

Video Matrix

WOW Great forum, first time here.

I have done CCTV for about 2 years, small jobs, nothing big yet, but right now I'm looking at this particular proposal, and there is a piece of equipment that I'm not too familiar with, a Video Matrix.

Can someone tell me what a Video Matrix is?

Thanks!

Welcome ..

Basically, a Matrix System can handle hundreds of cameras, by switching video from multiple cameras to multiple monitors. The video is normally in full screen only, and can sequence between each camera, programmable as to which cameras are assigned to which monitor output. Small versions of this is commonly called a Video Distribution Unit, or Mini Matrix.

Example of Matrix Systems:

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/kalatel/prd_matrix_switcher.html

Example of a Matrix/DVR all in one:

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=DVMRe_Matrix&lang=en_US

Rory

Basically, a Matrix System can handle hundreds of cameras, by switching video from multiple cameras to multiple monitors. The video is normally in full screen only, and can sequence between each camera, programmable as to which cameras are assigned to which monitor output. Small versions of this is commonly called a Video Distribution Unit, or Mini Matrix.

Hey Rory, agree with you on the matrix description.

The only thing is that this side of the pond, a Video Distribution Unit is not a switcher or Mini Matrix.

In general, it is used to split (normally described as a Video Distribution Amplifier or VDA) a single or possibly two Video Input signals, and then pass them through to a number of output sockets, usually 3, 5, 6 or 10.

If you combine a number of VDA's with a number of switchers, this will in effect form the building blocks for a basic 'Mini Matrix'; mind you, doing it this way it can get rather expensive very quickly