Dallmier Electronics from Germany make the best of the linux based DVR's but they do not sell the cards, well not that I am aware of. There is a big difference between embedded linux based DVR products and full operating linux products.

The DVRS with the best features are all PC Based platforms because they offer the features of windows in the networking arena. however the Dallmier does do a full PAL or NTSC image recording making it one of the clearest recorded images but as is with all linux products it lacks a lot of features.

May I ask why you are aftera Linux based card?

I'm just curious about why there is such a shortage of Linux based solutions? As a consultant and a Systems Administrator I work with Windows systems day in and day out. Windows systems have issues that seem to be very un-desirous in a security environment.

I recognize that many systems based on Windows are very accessible and user friendly, but those same features create a headache for those of us in the back office.

I found a few Linux based cards from various companies that seem to do it all, but they do not record audio, the one feature that I require. So I would agree with you that the Linux platform lacks the full feature set that is easily found in a Windows solution, but why is that?

Somebody could make a small company work well with such a product because many of us IT guys are so anti Microsoft that we look and look for something that is not Windows based. I’m not so far out there that I “hateâ€

I'm just curious about why there is such a shortage of Linux based solutions? As a consultant and a Systems Administrator I work with Windows systems day in and day out. Windows systems have issues that seem to be very un-desirous in a security environment.

I recognize that many systems based on Windows are very accessible and user friendly, but those same features create a headache for those of us in the back office.

I found a few Linux based cards from various companies that seem to do it all, but they do not record audio, the one feature that I require. So I would agree with you that the Linux platform lacks the full feature set that is easily found in a Windows solution, but why is that?

Somebody could make a small company work well with such a product because many of us IT guys are so anti Microsoft that we look and look for something that is not Windows based. I’m not so far out there that I “hate” Microsoft, but I really enjoy the stability and ease of use of those systems that are not from M$!

I dont know why the cards dont support audio, but maybe it hass something to with the fact that linux does not support alof of technlogy or hardware that windows does. Though it would be nice. So there are no Linux DVRs that support audio?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by xtreme:

Somebody could make a small company work well with such a product because many of us IT guys are so anti Microsoft that we look and look for something that is not Windows based. I’m not so far out there that I “hateâ€

I do believe that there are a lot more Window programmers than Linux; same can be said for the MAC too. The world is a Windows world. I disagree with you about knowing what to remove from Windows to make it secure, if it was that easy those SysAdmin in large organizations would have done so, but how compatible is the system and more important how stable is it after key components have been removed? I’d never accept a System that runs a custom version of Windows.

As for those manufacturers that create DVR cards and those whom just tweak them up a bit for their own box is what I’m talking about. That describes a large segment of the Video Surveillance industry. Someone could make money cranking about DVR cards with a good API into Linux(which would not be that expensive and would be relatively easy to do) and boom a money making machine is born.

Just my thought.

As for audio Rory, I don’t know if there are not any, just I have not found one. Nonetheless DVR_Expert_Australia has a great point on how to handle audio if you were serious about using a Linux based box and it had no audio.

I was not talking about a custom version of version of windows, I was just mentioning that there are a lot of tweaks that you can do and a lot of parts of windows that are not necessary to load up. Especially windows XP, some simple things as well can be removed, for instance, screensavers affect the DVr, Ram speed latency, Bus speeds, Pop Ups. windows Update etc, Slowing down the GUI etc etc

A lot of companies buy a PC then slot in a card and unless you use the right rated equpment and make driver adjustments then you can have issues with your system.. All In all though Linux is much more stable, but is so woefull in features that it is a trade off!

I was not talking about a custom version of version of windows, I was just mentioning that there are a lot of tweaks that you can do and a lot of parts of windows that are not necessary to load up. Especially windows XP, some simple things as well can be removed, for instance, screensavers affect the DVr, Ram speed latency, Bus speeds, Pop Ups. windows Update etc, Slowing down the GUI etc etc

A lot of companies buy a PC then slot in a card and unless you use the right rated equpment and make driver adjustments then you can have issues with your system.. All In all though Linux is much more stable, but is so woefull in features that it is a trade off!

you are very right. I have windows Xp and ME, both tweaked.

XP is soo slow in its default setting, even on a 2+GHz with 1000mb DDR with a good video card. I take out all the flashy graphics #1 which slows it down, color settings to 16 mill instead of 32. 800x600 instead of 1024+, disable system restore, disable auot updates, and much much more...Some people dont know how fast it can be.

Dont forget all the added software loaded on start up with brand name pcs.

Just stumbled on this site which shows a line of Linux O/S DVR cards.

http://www.cybervision.com.tw/

cool, thanks, ill take a look, my be worth it if they are cheap.

they say embedded linux OS, does that mean they run in windows, Linux, or you can build your own OEM DVR using it??

anyone know,

I am pretty sure we tried them, probably have the card in the whare house if you want it.. From memmory the use a flash type O/S they send you the cards and a small flash device with their O/S on it and that plugs into an IDE cable, It is a small blue device, you may check their site and see if this is the case.. please let me know, I tested them ages ago, was VERY stable I could not veen make it crash by trying everything, but the softwrae was very junky. This was a long time ago though.

I hope this helped

I am pretty sure we tried them, probably have the card in the whare house if you want it.. From memmory the use a flash type O/S they send you the cards and a small flash device with their O/S on it and that plugs into an IDE cable, It is a small blue device, you may check their site and see if this is the case.. please let me know, I tested them ages ago, was VERY stable I could not veen make it crash by trying everything, but the softwrae was very junky. This was a long time ago though.

I hope this helped

so it doesnt require a Windows PC or Linux PC??