VIDEOMN

GeoVision GV-1480 Setup Questions (NewBee)

Hi everyone, new to the forum and browsed around a little. Have a few questions about initial setup with resolution and all.

I have a custom built system as follows:

Asus P5-Q Mobo (Intel Chipset)

Intel Quad 2.5G 16MB Cache 1333mhz CPU

4GB 800Mhz Kingston Ram

(6) Yes SIX 1.5 TB Seagate SATA II Drives

GV-1480, Loop Back Card & GV-IR (Ver 8.2)

Cooler Master Case with (5) 120MM 4000 RPM Fans

Windows XP Pro OS (No extra Software Loaded BareBones)

Dedicated CCTV Server (Not A Worksation Used)

Please don't tell me about motion detection sensors to save space or be concerned about longer storage times as I have that covered. Drives are cheap enough and the mobo can control up to six SATA drives. I have tried them all on various machines over the years and always had missed video that either did not sense motion at all, not long enough, false alarms or something was missed because it was too far in the background or on the other side of the street or warehouse or too distant for camera to pick it up but you can see it with your own eyes watching the monitor.

Anyway, as I have a HUGE amount of storage capacity, almost 8TB across all the drives. Being that storage is not an issue, what is the BEST settings, the BEST and CLEAREST resolution and compression option I should set. One person says turn compression off because it is for file size and space and it distorts the image, then another says 360x240, 720x480, another says use MPEG instead of another, then another says H264 but not the V2.... Presently I have 720x480, quality is at 5, and using H264 V2. Pictures are pretty clear but when using the remote view on the network the pictures at night are somewhat mosaic but not so if looking from the actual DVR server. Can I have a different resolution for viewing REMOTE than what is actually recorded on the server so over the LAN or INTERNET I have slightly less quality for faster viewing speed? Never mind about the cameras I have, they are all 480-530 or so etc... I know the camera image makes the biggest difference, I just want to know opinions on resolution settings in the GeoVision software and I will splurge at extreame series cameras little by little as one goes bad or fuzzy or their price drops .

Question 1: If storage space was not an issue, what would you set your video quality & resolutions to be at? Where exactly do I make these changes to make sure I have entered them all in the right places.

Question 2: Can I change the resolution so main recording on the hard drives is the best, then the viewing over the LAN is another slightly less quality, and remotely over the internet (off premise) another even slightly less in quality or more compression for faster speed?

Question 3: I noticed now that 2009 hit, the last video I have is from DEC 31 2008. Prior to Dec 31st I had almost 30 days in there and still room to spare. So I lost the last 30 days of December as I cannot see it in the log. Isn't it suppose to overwrite one day (or one drive) at a time or does it purge the entire database when it gets full and starts you off at 1 day storage?

Being that you now know the storage space I have, what other settings should I make sure I have made for the best, clearest & fastest recordings possible. (Again, without limiting or using space issue as something to consider or watch out for.

Also being that I am new and have only built two GeoVision systems thus far, any other installation tips and things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated. Some say partition the OS different from the DVR software, another says if I am not using the same partition for storage it is OK to install the OS and DVR software on the main C drive. Another person says not to format the storage drives NTFS and use FAT32. I don't know how XP is going to like a partiton size of a TB in FAT32 or if it even matters. Too many cooks making a bowl of soup without any real factual knowledge to back it up if you ask me, but all trying to help I guess. I have been in the business for many years, but these are my first PC Based DVRs I have used and I just love the D1 video quality. I should have been building these long time ago. Some draw backs with a PC Based unit but just takes some getting use to I guess. After I get going a bit more I might post some suggestions for next version that we could certainly use and wish to have.

Thanks in advance

MN

I Agree – storage, memory and processing power are cheap. I always attempt to save the best quality video without regard to storage. I record all cameras 24/7. A blue panel is disconcerting during multi-camera playback.

Your computer hardware should allow 32 inputs when software version 8.3 is released (using PCI and PCIe 1480 combo cards). Your storage capacity should provide months of video unless your application requires a high frame rate 24/7.

To remedy your mosaic issue, try reducing the key frame rate on the troublesome camera. If the duration of the mosaic problem is shorter during playback, try an update the host and client to version 8.22. I started reducing the keyframe when version 8.2 created mosaics during playback from backup disks on remote workstations. (Your vendor can provide the 8.22 patch if required.) Each time it came on a keyframe, the mosaic cleared for a while. I did not notice a quality change or performance difference with a lower keyframe.

The Mpeg4-ASP codec may also eliminate the problem. H.264 has also caused mosaic issues on underpowered machines. It MAY be a problem on the network connection you have. Also, connect to the DVR on a local network instead of Internet as a test as well. There is an option to encode the live video with different codecs for remote viewing. I am not near a system now, and do not rember just where, but it is an option in the client - I am using notes for this reply.

The settings I have found satisfactory are below. I welcome any input.

Question 1: Geo-Mpeg4 ASP seems to deliver the best quality. The H.264 codecs don’t provide as much detail for distant objects, and the plain Mpeg4 is only a little better than H.264. (H.264 does save an enormous amount of disk space).

General –

Enable direct draw overlay

Enable deinterlace Render

Panel resolution = monitor native resolution

Event Log Size = 5 minutes (better playback for lengthy segments – video can jump between segments)

Monitor Options

(I’m not sure if this is active with Round-the-clock recording with the motion detection option, but I set it anyway)

Pre-record setup

Performance = extra

35/11 frames (or whatever you think is appropriate)

Camera record setting

Record quality = 5 (highest)

720x480

Rec. frame setting – Limit Rate Rec. of Motion -

Max frame rate of motion 5 to 8 per sec (that covers anything but card tricks)

Max frame rate of non-motion 1 to 2 per second (I think a lower frame rate during times of no motion permits faster review of mutiple cameras, besides the disk savings, particularly when backed up to CD/DVD.

Round-the-clock recording with Geo Mpeg4-ASP

Apply Advanced codec setting –

advanced codec settings:

Enable multithread encoding - fixed

Advanced user defined

Half-pixel (better quality per manual – Haven’t experimented much with quarter-pixel)

Quantizer 2 (higher reduces quality slightly per manual – can not go lower)

Inter-frame threshold 1 (higher value reduces quality slightly per manual)

Keyframe at 30 or 60 (higher slightly reduces quality)

A separate hard drive is necessary for the OS and Geovision software. I use a Basic disk for every drive, one partition per drive. If you don’t have a small disk for the OS, partition 40-60 gigs from a large drive to dedicate to the OS. Use NTSF for all drives (exception: a USB drive that may be used for backup review on a different workgroup or a domain should be FAT-32 to avoid permission issues).

Dynamic disks or hardware RAID doesn’t seem to alter record or playback performance. If there were a hundred concurrent connections, a RAID array may make a difference. When (not if) a serious incident occurs, the investigation may require the original storage media. A RAID array may require the entire DVR for successful playback. In earlier days, a SCSI RAID 0 did make a difference on last century’s hardware.

There are storage options to record selected cameras to different locations, but I just dump them all together. GeoVision may split a day to different drives as it deletes the oldest video, but always seems to record all connected cameras to the same disk simultaneously.

Question 2: There is a mechanism to alter the resolution when using Live view and webcam. I think the options are visible when using the client. I am happy with the GeoVision defaults on a multi-view. I do not use much live Geo - I use the Remote ViewLog. For a local connection, use a gigabit LAN with an appropriate switch, enable jumbo frames on the NICs and use a public domain test tool to determine the optimum MTU.

Question 3: I think the GeoVision will save as much as 999 days. The video log storage offers options to delete after xxx days or recycle, which should fill the disks before deletion. I haven’t had an issue with GeoVision on leap years or daylight savings time changes since Windows handles that part. In the Viewlog program, previous months and year open from a Windows-like tree. Also, I enlarge the recycle threshold to 2500 MB on large drives.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are some great performance tweaks in Rory’s sticky.

A good video signal is essential. Use a video signal meter for adjustment when using any amplified UTP video – I am satisfied with the ‘FM Systems Camera Master’ that provides a digital readout of color burst, composite, luminance, sync and focus. Correct video will provide optimal recording. If a long-haul coax camera provides a poor image, there are several products that can restore the levels as much as possible at the receiving end. (I suppose amplified transmitter would be better, but that entails two technicians.) I think the GeoVision noise reduction option results in a softer image.

There are many Windows settings also. Rory has a great sticky at the top of the main GeoVision forum. There are also lots of unnecessary services in WIndows.

Don't forget to configure the BIOS to restart after a power outage is detected.

Thats all I have time for now. I'm sure others will offer more tips.

WOW, thanks for that reply. I did make several changes reading rory's stuff prior to posting and removed as many services as I thought would be safe and not to be used by anyone on this dedicated machine.

I heard all about 8.3 prior to purchasing any cards and already have TWO PCIE cards sitting here waiting for 8.3 to come out. I heard it was out at ASIS show but buggy, they claim we should have it DEC/JAN. I also heard from GeoVision tech on the phone, and unless he was mistaken you have to use the same type and model cards. 2PCI or 2PCIE cards and not mix different card types or models.

I noticed that I do in fact have 8.2 and will get a link to 8.22 in the morning when I have a chance to call in. Thanks for letting ,e know about an update available.

Changed all the cameras to Mpeg4-ASP

All my general settings were already as you advised, I did not see anything saying prerecord setup or anything so that is untouched.

I have it set to ROUND THE CLOCK, so anything set in motion is not active and will not effect anything right? The only other thing was keyframe rate. It was set to 120 with a possible setting from 15-480. The geVision card I have is a GV-1480 480 max fps card. You still want me to try 30 or 60 or leave it at 120 (default)?

With regard to hard drive, I have (6) 1.5TB drives. I made a 150GB partition (C_DRIVE) on the first drive for BOTH OS and GV-1480 system program on the same drive & partition. I did make the TEMP directory to be out of the C:\GV1480 DIR and moved it to a folder on the first storage partition (D:\VIDEO TEMP) so I should not have any fragging problems going on the main drive unless it does something elsewhere. Is this still OK to do as I done having the OS & System program on the same drive and partition? All storage drives are NTFS formatted and BASIC partitions (extended partitions)

I think the viewing settings is in the multiview or viewlog I install on the client machines, I remember seeing it, I will have to check again and play with settings for remote viewing at different resolutions.

If I do not have a setting made to keep logs for XXX days, will it save and store until it is full and just over write? One setting I never saw anywhere which is what we see on stand alone DVR's is the option to recycle, circular record, or days to record. I am assuming it is automatic and understood that what ever storage array of drives I chose and put in the list it will simply use it in alphabetical order and wipe out one drive (or one 5 min video file) at a time? Then as it comes back around in alphabetical order it will overwrite the other drives in the storage list maybe?

Thanks again for your input, must have taken you longer to reply then it did for me to post.

YOU THE MAN !!

MN

Re the 8.22 update: The problem occurs in the Viewlog program, but I can not say for sure if the symptom can be remedied in a remote view with the patch. The update may not be applicable for your problem. If the mosaic problem is reduced when you reduce the keyframe setting, the patch may help. Your vender should be able to offer more insight.

A different codec may also help. Repeat the process that caused the problem now that you have changed the codec, and see if that helped.

Also, do a test on the network local to the GeoVision DVR. If the problem only occurs when you are on the internet, the upgrade may not help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Storage paths:

I wouldn’t put a TEMP folder or anything on a drive for video. Taking up disk space on a video storage drive can lead problems.

I configure one storage group folder that has a path to a single folder on each dedicated video storage drive. The GeoVision default may put a storage location on your C: drive. I create a second group with all my storage drives and delete the first group that had the C drive. For each drive, I have a single folder in the root labeled something like GV_PATH_1-d on drive D, GV_PATH_2-e on drive E etc so I can insure at a glance that I have used each drive.

Make sure no video storage group or folder path is on your C: drive. Don’t add anything to the drives dedicated to video storage, and enlarging the reserved space may help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I let all the GeoVision database folders sit on the C: drive, but I make sure they have a dedicated folder. Some of them default just into the GeoVision folder, I think.

Yes, the recorder will overwrite the oldest video. The first storage group folder will fill (filling the drive), and then the second etc. Once all the drives are full, the oldest video is deleted, maybe a few hours at a time, I am not sure.

So test the codec you just switched to and also test on a local connection, make sure the video storage drives are dedicated, and no video storage folders occur on the C: drive - Got to go to work - sorry if this response is disjointed!