Tesseract

NVR and IP box camera recommendations needed

Application is to monitor 6 gates at an apartment complex. Looking at using day/night ip box cameras with a QNAP VioStor 8-ch. NVR as it seems to be the best deal going for something I can actually cram into a reasonable size NEMA 4X box (all equipment will be located outside - no choice in the matter). I want decent quality cameras - not high end nor low end. The distance from camera to gate ranges from 40' at the closest to 96' at the farthest so I want to mount a 6-60mm variofocal lens on each camera to let me zoom it to the right width.

There are a bewildering number of cameras out there and most of the IP cameras look like toys, despite their prices. I'd like to keep the cost of the camera, lense and outdoor housing, if needed, to around $450. One cameras that falls within the budget and seems to have the desired resolution/features is the ACTi ACM-5711N.

Have I made good choices, all things considered, or could I do better. My main requirement for this setup is not so much quality of image but quality of service - in other words, I do not want to have to constantly reboot this stuff because it locked up.

Other questions: is it correct that when you use a dedicated NVR you don't need to use the crap video recording software that comes with the camera (as long as the NVR and IP camera are compatible?)

Is a 1/3" progressive scan CMOS chip really worse than an interlaced 1/3" CCD?

Thanks for the help so far, folks.

You get what you pay for and Axis is the best. You could also try Vivotek I have had a 6111 installed at my front door for about 6 months without a reboot but it will take 6 weeks to get one fixed if it breaks.

Is a 1/3" progressive scan CMOS chip really worse than an interlaced 1/3" CCD?

I think you may have had a typo...Progressive scan is better then interlaced. You will notice the difference when you have fast moving objects.

Thanks for the reply, thewireguys.

That last question about the progressive cmos vs. interlaced ccd wasn't a typo, it was more of a which is the more important rule to follow: "cmos is always worse than ccd" or "progressive is always better than interlaced".

Hmmm... Axis is the best, huh? What about Mobotix or IQinvision? (Ford or Chevy...)

But are you saying the ACTi cams are junk? I mean, it's not like I'm trying to get away with using that Q-See 8 cameras + DVR package at the local compusa for $800... I thought you could get a decent IP camera for $350; if you can't, then they are way overpriced compared to the equivalent resolution/sensitivity analog camera!

When I was in my audio engineer training, one instructor has a favorite phrase: "There are no rules, only guidelines". To paraphrase, never count on absolutes - you can't say that one is "ALWAYS" better or worse than the other. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses that you need to take into account when determining which is best for YOUR OWN needs.

CMOS vs CCD :

usually CMOS will require more light in order for the image quality to be sharp and decent.

CCD will generally perform better in lower light conditions when compared to CMOS.

However, there are technology (such as PIXIM) that compensates for the lack of sensitivity in the CMOS sensor.

As a rule of thumb, the bigger the CCD, the better it is (and the more expensive it is too). Those found in IP cameras are usually 1/4" or 1/3" CCD (interlaced / progressive)

In order of image quality, i'd go PROGRESSIVE SCAN CCD > Interlaced CCD > CMOS.

because Interlaced CCD will produce a "motion blurr" image when objects are moving, most cam mfg have incorporated a 'deinterlacing' in their decoding software which generally removes this blurring.