Sign in to follow this  
Noddy

Mixing analog and IP Cameras

Hi Im sorry if this has been asked before, I did search but Im still a bit confused. At the moment I have a GV-800 4 with four analog cameras and I was looking to add 2 Axis IP cameras. After some research I thought I could just buy the Geovision NVR 2 cam license and add the cams for a total of 6 cameras. I was told buy a friend today that the maximum total number of cams (IP and analog) that I could have with the 4 port card is 4 and that I would have to buy a new 6 port card and the NVR license. Is this the case ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

NO!

First what version is your Geovision software?

Right now GV8.2X is the newest and I dont remember but you can have at least 8 IP cams if not 12 on your GV-800/4, the GUI has a max of 16 cameras, and you can have a total of 4 analog cameras.

NVR do not support any analog cameras, only IP products and DVR's

JD

Hi Im sorry if this has been asked before, I did search but Im still a bit confused. At the moment I have a GV-800 4 with four analog cameras and I was looking to add 2 Axis IP cameras. After some research I thought I could just buy the Geovision NVR 2 cam license and add the cams for a total of 6 cameras. I was told buy a friend today that the maximum total number of cams (IP and analog) that I could have with the 4 port card is 4 and that I would have to buy a new 6 port card and the NVR license. Is this the case ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks JD

I'm running GV 8.2, the store I was talking to said that the max number of cams (IP and analog) was 4. I thought it strange as you said the GUI supports 16. The GV software even finds the Axis IP camera on my network but will not let me install it as it says "connection failed. Limited by USB key the number is 0"

So if I buy say a 2 license of the Geovision NVR I should be ok ?

Hi again!

8.2 is good to go for IP! - Limited by USB key the number is 0 is saying that there is no license/dongle for IP cameras.

So you would need a dongle yes!

There are many different dongles so make sure you get the right one!

Geovision now sells more dongles then compression cards!

JD

Thanks JD

I'm running GV 8.2, the store I was talking to said that the max number of cams (IP and analog) was 4. I thought it strange as you said the GUI supports 16. The GV software even finds the Axis IP camera on my network but will not let me install it as it says "connection failed. Limited by USB key the number is 0"

So if I buy say a 2 license of the Geovision NVR I should be ok ?

Thanks again JD,

heres an other question if you dont mind. So to upgrade my GV card I have to buy a dongle license for approx $250. Should I take that $250 and buy a AverMeida card and not have to worry about a license ? I could sell the GV800 on ebay

The system I have is only for home security and it seems that the GV systems is expensive and overkill for home use.

Thank you in advance for reading