dahur

ptz video settings advice

Can someone tell me what settings might work best for me? I just got a Wireless Microseven 26x optical 12x digital Sony 1/4 Ex View HAD PTZ camera. It seems to me the video quality should be a little better than it is.

Here are my options

D1 (I have it on that now) HD1 CIF, QCIF

Frame rates 5 to 30 I have it on 30

Bitrate 128 to 3000 I have it about in the middle 1500 something

Video quality low medium high I have it set on high

Video quality control Quality first (check) Frame rate first (check)

I have the frame rate first checked.

What settings will "work best for you" will depend on exactly what you need the camera to do. I'd think you'd want to start with the quality vs. framerate setting (switch to the former).

The higher the bitrate, the less (lossy) compression is being applied, so increasing that will help quality as well.

You can reduce the bandwidth needed by lowering the frame rate - even cutting it to 15fps you probably won't notice the difference unless you're capturing race cars or something fast-moving.

Disable the digital zoom, as well - all it's doing is cropping an area at the center of the shot and blowing it up to fill the frame. As with digital pocket cameras, digital zoom is a gimmick at best.

Thanks for the response. I'll try the settings you suggested tomorrow.

Yes, I noticed when I reach the end of my optical zoom, because it suddenly gets very blurry. The digital zoom is pretty much useless.

Will lowering the frame rate also help for nighttime? this camera has an auto IR cut, and works very well until just before it's completely dark. In fact just before complete darkness, the video looks like the thermal imaging cameras the military uses. But ten minutes later, the picture's gone.