brianoftheforum

Fixed Lens camera needs to have a varifocal lens sugestions?

Hi i have the following camera from the homesecuritystore

VC-CA-IR100-6 - Color Weatherproof Infrared Camera, Fixed Lens

had these for a while now , wondered if theres anyway to add a variable lens to two of them? up to 9mm - any suggestions or links to some lenses that would would would be much appreciated

thanks

Hi Brian,

Not easily if at all. I am very familiar with this camera. Have installed both this cam and the vari-focal model as well.

I want to point out an issue I found with this camera. After about 6 months in service I was called back because water had penetrated the housing. This happened on 2 cameras on the same property from the same order. What I had to do is remove the glass from the front and seal them with waterproof sealant. Since then they have been fine. If that rubber seal does not sit just right, I believe that's where the water was getting in. Otherwise a nice camera.

I haven't worked with those cameras specifically, but I've used a lot of that TYPE of design... there simply isn't room in there for a varifocal lens. However, there are a wide range of fixed lenses that you should be able to swap into it - common lengths are 2.6mm, 3.8mm and 8mm (models of National Electronics domes we used to use included all three with every camera).