Milestone software has several catergories - XProtect Central, Transact, Business....

Does anyone know what database they are using?

Under what circumstances (eg. where there are 300 cameras recording at 4CIF 30fps for 30days??) does the user need to purchase a MS SQL Server 2005?

Thanks...

from the manual

In the Database Setup Wizard you will get the choice of using an existing

SQL 2000/2005 Server on the network or setting up an SQL Server

Express Edition (a lightweight, yet powerful, version of a full SQL server)

on the Management Server computer itself.

thanks for the reply Twilo.

I was trying to figure this out - something the manual does not specify.

SQL Express 2005 is the free version from Microsoft, but this version will only database file size to grow up to 4GB.

(With previous MSDE database, it was 2GB)

I'd like to assume Milestone keeps the system configuration data, maybe even metadata and all relevant system information into this database.

When the system is large, more information is stored in the database.

What i was trying to find out is this - when i size a system, the free MS SQL Express 2005 is good for system up to x size? x cameras?

i hope i am making sense here.

i don't know that answer jason. i was looking at milestone from a developer's point of view. we tried to eval milestone and found their support to be less than helpful. after 2 emails they wanted to start charging $200 an hour for support. utterly ridiculous for some simple email questions (2 emails to be exact). needless to say we dropped it fast. also i questioned why they only allow for password and not username (you HAVE to use the admin username of the ip camera so you need to know this information. if you change the default admin username it will not work). very weird to me. this is like a security breach i think because anyone who knows a company is using milestone now knows the username to any camera. they can just brute force the password to gain access to the cameras directly. i did install it and i don't see any sql service either so i am not sure how it installs. i did not install any sql manager so it could be there somewhere. it doesn't install sql manager by default.

we are doing Onssi now which is the same thing rebranded for the US. their support is much more helpful in my case so i am satisfied with looking into implementing their nvr on the various cellular interfaces. again it did not install a sql service. if i find out more i will let you know.

this may help you though http://www.milestonesys.com/support/questions_and_answers/estimator_and_calculators

Rob Conlin

Intelligent Designs Group, LLC

www.totalcontrolapp.com

thanks for taking time out to explain Twilo.

i've spoken to a local dealer who handles Milestone, and he does not seem to be able to explain clearly as well.

I was looking through www.totalcontrolapp.com - something interesting. Just to clarify - the application communicates directly with the IP camera ya? And not pull video via another application (eg. Milestone, Axis Cam Station...)

the applications are a direct connection between ip camera/video encoder and the cellular phone. there is a compatibility list on the website with tested models and supported functions. no 3rd party server or app required, no monthly or yearly fees, etc. just a direct connection.

there are videos showing them in operation on the website. touchscreens use flicks for pan and tilt and in the case of iphone it uses pinches for zoom functions. android and winmo versions also support touchscreens.

thewireguys are you talking to me or jason?

Edited by Guest

hi "thewireguys"

i don't have preference. That was a generic question which allows me to better understand the background software architecture that Milestone uses.

as the size of an installation grows, it becomes more apparent that a video management software with a sound design architecture will withstand scaling.

I remember the first few versions of Milestone software (dated some time back to 2003) has a limit of 600,000 images per camera. They were using proprietary database then. I'm not sure how much is done to correct that, as the database is usually considered the core of the coding. (i do not mean to proclaim that I am a programmer; but these are based on fairly generic assumptions).

So when I hear dealers propose Milestone for large projects (eg 300 camera systems with alarms and all), i was just wondering if they had incorporated the MS SQL Server 2005 database into ALL their software offerings? I had this suspicion that only the Milestone Corporate works on MS SQL Express / Server database.

(Suffice to say that they have positioned themselves as a low- to mid-end solution)

You should look into ipConfigure. They are a small company that makes some very good software. If your looking software that can support unlimited cameras and users there software can do it. We are partners with them so i can put you in contact with them if you need it.

I think it is still $225 per camera. They are not the cheapest but it is good easy to use software. There is no server or client costs and you can install it on as many servers as you need for that customer.

"from the manual

on the Management Server computer itself."

This (using a SQL database) applies only to the corporate version of Milestone's product. The basic, professional and enterprise version's use a proprietary database from Milestone.

See http://www.milestonesys.com/files/UserFiles/Docs/products/Milestone%20XProtect%20Comparison%20Chart%20-%20Feb2009.pdf for a detailed breakdown on the differences between the versions.

"from the manual

on the Management Server computer itself."

This (using a SQL database) applies only to the corporate version of Milestone's product. The basic, professional and enterprise version's use a proprietary database from Milestone.

See http://www.milestonesys.com/files/UserFiles/Docs/products/Milestone%20XProtect%20Comparison%20Chart%20-%20Feb2009.pdf for a detailed breakdown on the differences between the versions.

I like the reasonable price of the SMB version... except they restrict you to a single web client, they don't allow archiving to network drives, no PDA client...

The single client and no network archiving are deal killers in my installation.

I like their interface and easy to set-up. The only downfall for me was the playback function. No instant replay.... meaning you have to wait for the program to load the portion of recording. Fo example, 2minute segment takes about 5 minutes to fully download. I'm not talkig about from Internet, within the same pc (Quad cpu). very frustrating. maybe works ok with non-mp ip cameras?

The single client and no network archiving are deal killers in my installation.

I like the XB+ as well, actually one of the best I've came across so far...but "single client" over the network (you can use the client within the server pc at the same time) doesn't work for my clients. A deal breaker!

I've been looking for a demo of the exacq software myself. Let me know if you find one.

I've called the company (very friendly folks) and they will let you download a fully functional demo (free for 1ch=).

I've been looking for a demo of the exacq software myself. Let me know if you find one.

I've called the company (very friendly folks) and they will let you download a fully functional demo (free for 1ch=).

That's a nice option... thanks.