dudu_georgescu

Help installing a PTZ security camera

Hi guys,

I have an ACD-1500 PTZ analogue camera and a JS-8RTA-D1 DVR. I am linking the camera to the JS receiver using 2 muxlab baluns (50022) and cat 5e cabling.

Here is the thing: both the video and the power connections work great !!! Colors are excellent, image is good, even during low light situations. The camera engine also is ok (when initially plugged in, does a rotation motion of 180 degrees up and down, right and left, then stops).

The camera's switches are both set properly (i.e. the camera address is 1 since this is my only PTZ, the protocol chosen is PELCOD 19200). I am choosing the same protocol (PELCOD) and speed (19200) on the DVR and the proper camera address (namely 1). Problem is that I cannot control the camera using the DVR controls (i.e. I cannot tell the camera "go left!" or "go right!").

Btw, I am linking the PTZ controls (RS 485) of the camera directly into the first balun, then from the second balun right into the receiver (entries A and B).

What can it be? Any help would be greately appreciate it!!!

Thank you,

George

Please insure the polarity is correct on the back of the DVR. If they are reversed, it will not work.

Also on the back of the DVR, the bottom row of the green connector blocks, you are connecting to the extreme left one, correct?? I have the exact same set up.

Additionally, there is no need for the baluns for the data. You may want to remove them. That may be the problem. I have my cat 5 connected directly to the data lines on the camera and connected directly into the DVR. I only use the baluns for the video.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yep, it is the extreme left pin on the bottom connector (actually the last two pins).

Unfortunately, no matter how I swap the pins, it does not work.

Question: what happens if I have the polarity reversed, could I have fried the RS 485 input?

Thanx!

George

Hi George,

No, not to my knowledge. Have accidentally reversed them on my ACD with no ill affects.

Did you remove the baluns?? Is the 25 pin connector block securely attached??

I have also found with a few of these cams that the dip switches are a little touchy. I have had to switch them on and off so to speak and it worked. Any reason why you have decided to go 19200 instead of the default of 2400?? Just curious

Thanks

Mike

There's no need to use a baudrate over 2400, or at most 9600 (I've run into a couple older PTZs that are 9600-only) - a lower rate will be less prone to data corruption from interference. Also, ensure the rest of the port settings match (8N1 - 8 data bits, No parity, 1 stop bit, an no flow control).

Yep, rest of the stuff is properly configured (parity, stop bit, no flow, etc.)

Thank you guys. Will try to remove the baluns out of the equation first thing tomorrow morning and let's see what happens. Btw. outside is snowing like hell, so I would hate to have to go on the house and turn the switches on and off

Just out of curiosity, HOW do you have baluns wired into the serial run?? Typical baluns are BNC on one side and a pair of spring or screw terminals on the other, I can't picture how they'd even connect to the serial ports.

Hi George,

OK, I see... There is no reason why this configuration should not work.

A few things...

1. You may want to insure your cat 5 connectors are installed correctly, i.e. color coding as per the balun directions

2. Set the cam and DVR to 2400

3. As a matter of reference, I took a voltage reading at the RS-485 on my JS. In the neutral position I read .65VDC. When I move the cam, the voltage drops to .30VDC. I wonder if the 25-pin connector block is defective. So if you have voltage there, that would suggest that connector block is OK. Remember, I have the exact same set up ( less the baluns )so you should see the same results. BTW, I took this reading directly from the screws on the block with the camera connected.

4. If you do have voltage then move to the cam and test there. If you do not have voltage at the cam then either one of the baluns is defective or your RJ45 connector is wired incorrectly on either end.

5. How far is the PTZ from the power supply?? My ACD works fine using cat 5, video, data and power at 70'. Although video and data will go great distances, power on the other hand will suffer greatly. It's a leap as you did say the cam does cycle when first powered up.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry ... my mutimetre was broken, got a new one. I am doing the same readings as you do, but my results are quite different. I am reading 0.462 VDC when in neutral, when attempting to move the camera, I am getting a bunch of numbers, all of them in between 0.442 VDC to 0.418 VDC.

So quite a difference. Do you think this is the problem?

Thanx!

George

If I read correctly the RS 485 standard,

"At the transmitter end the voltage difference should not be less than 1.5 Vdc and not exceed 5 Vdc."

"At the receiver end the voltage difference should not be less than 0.2 Vdc."

Well, apparently, my receiver has no chance of working. If the numbers you told me are correct, then not even yours is in a better shape lol --> however if the difference is the same on the receiver end, then yours has a sporting chance of working properly.

Thanx!

George

P.S. 1 Of course, I have no clue how accurate these readings are without an osciloscope.

P.S. 2 I keep reading about a resistor that needs to be mounted at the camera end in between the RS 485 wires (100 ohms) How accurate is this? Did you mount such a resistor?

Hi George.

I have to admit that when I did take those readings, I was surprised not to find 5VDC. That's why I mentioned as a matter of reference considering you have the same set up. I just took another reading without the "load" and read .45 and .25.

I took this one step further... You mentioned you have this set at 19200. I set mine ( DVR ) at 19200 and I get the same readings BUT little or no change when attempting to move the cam. Hmmmm, throttle down the DVR to 2400 and take a reading. I think you will find it will drop in half.

The resistor is often needed when you have multiple PTZ's. When only using one, there is no need for it and often times it depends.

Hi Mike,

When you mention "without the load" I infer that you have disconnected the PTZ camera, and then took the readings directly onto the pins of the DVR. Am I correct in my assumptions?

Thanx!

George

Yep, did exactly that, and I am getting with a baudrate of 2400 (near the receiver)

- 0.462 V in neutral

- bunch of numbers (in between 0.4 to 0.25) when attempting to move the camera

With load, same numbers. In the attic, near the camera, same numbers. With or without the balun.

At this point, I am mostly inclined to believe that something is wrong with the camera.

Thanx!

George

Well, no one can say you did not try. You absolutely convinced me that the camera is defective. You exhausted every troubleshooting technique and I applaud you for that.

It was a pleasure working with you.

Please let us know how you make out.

Thanks

Mike