tracenet

JS-8RTA DVR Backup from DVR to DVD Question

Hey guys... I have a new JS-8RTA DVR and I was testing the backup files to see how the video could be sent to law enforcement if the need came. I burned the files I wanted to a DVD Disc, however any windows machine I put the DVD in I can't see the files. Any ideas. I do have DVD drives on the windows machines.

You will need to convert the files to either .avi or .wmv using the File Player. It should be on the CD that came with the unit but if you need a copy, follow this link...

http://www.shoreviewsecurityusa.com/kb_results.asp?ID=3

I would strongly suggest is not converting them and include the File Player with the video on the DVD especially for law enforcement. The JS, once it burns the video to the DVD it finalizes the DVD. In other words, you will not be able to write any other data to that DVD and you will need to provide another DVD with the player. What we do in this case is transfer the files of interest to a PC via the network and burn those video files and the player on the same DVD. By doing so, who ever has the DVD will also have the player as well.

I did attempt to create a video on how to accomplish the conversion but the software I use to capture my PC would not display the video in playback mode. I was attempting to show how easy it was to convert using the file player.

I hope this has helped you.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for your response Mike.

Just in case others need to know I pulled a new unit out over the weekend and recorded some video and I tried to record onto several DVD media types. What I found was that this DVR only records to a DVD-RW. I tried DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+RW also but it would only write to the one type of media. I thought it a little strange but at least I know now.