thekingster

Offsite Recording

Hi,

Bit of a newb question here.

I am wanting to install CCTV in my shop. Would like to use a PC based solution.

1) Whats a good camera (would like to use 2 cameras).

2) Whats good software to use?

3) Whats the best way to get the video footage offsite? if we get burgled I asuume the cctv pc could be taken too - deeming the CCTV useless!

Many Thanks

Dave

off-site recording uses bandwidth so if your current bandwidth is slow now adding off-site will kill your speed.........you'd have to upgrade your bandwidth.

(2) ways I'd do it;

1 - use a avermedia 1304 netsata at the shop with upto (4) analog cams...1304 will record locally. add a NV5000 PC based card at your house and have it record the 1304 cams as a backup (off-site).

2 - Use Video Insight IP NVR software at your house and (2) IP cams at the shop.........record the IP cams at your house (off-site).

I recently installed a Video Insight IP server as a off-site demo server and I can program any approved IP cams to it for testing by anyone interested. http://www.video-insight.com/Support/Supported-IP-Cameras.aspx and I am interested in providing this "off-site" service on a yearly contracted fee if interested? The server is located in Colorado (for safe keeping of video from natural disasters) and has a 8meg dl with a 2meg up........this allows you to have recorded video without any expense of owning video recording equipment.

Anyone interested in testing it...............let me know via pm. I'll need your IP cam address, port, user name & password to program the ip server in colorado.

Server also has a 1Tb RAID1....................

I really don't have any experience with the cheaper IP cams. The following are the ones I use;

Axis 207MW; indoor, wireless, great megapixel pic, BUT blurrs badly under low light when set to "priortize quality.......not so bad when set to "priortize frame rate. In low light as set to "priortize frame rate" the pic will pixelize. Decent bandwidth & storage....if there is such a thing for Megapixel cameras

Arecont 3130; great camera all around. Indoor, low light, IR lumination, ect. PoE wired. Uses twice the bandwidth of a 207MW and also requires twice the storage. Most expensive........but worth every penny.

Acti ACM-7411; decent all around IP camera. Outdoor, PoE, low light capable, decent bandwidth & storage. Not as good a picture as the 3130, but worth the money if using in low light.

Acti 8511 PTZ; PoE, indoor day/night, small, nice pics. Just received one and still testing the low light responses.

Toshiba IKW-11A IP PTZ; nice outdoor PTZ. Nolonger manufactured, but, I was impressed with the pic. I'd rather buy a Acti......ACM8511

Axis has some new N3000 series that will be supported by Video Insight. Have read some good stuff on them just need to test it.......

Bottomline on IP Cams; Look for Outdoor, Progressive scan, PoE, day/night in a 1.3mega pixel.........anything else and you'll have issues with low light no light blurr......