rory

road block

the road traffic here have this "every other month" speed trap set up in a couple location on the island, other times you never see them and there is no law on the road ... anyway, i got hit at 42 in a 35 ..wow so fast ..anyway, they are like children, as I was sitting there waiting on the side of the road, the guy with the speed gun was jumping up and down, "50 dread, 50!!", like it was candy in a little kids hands .. as a car was speeding up the road ..and they pulled him over too.

So I sat and waited. The oher police was writing in a school book, the cop with the speed gun comes up and says ive been stopped for expeeding the speed limit, and shows me the speed gun reading, which conveniently showed just a red line! Anyway. They never gave me a ticket or anything to sign, they filled out my info in this school book, and then told me I had to report to the road traffic on monday and they will tell me what to do. I asked if I could get some sought of receipt, he said no just go there on Monday. Im like !????!???

Anyway, so i dont have a problem that i was doing 40 in a 35, but t he fact that our Road Traffic here is a joke, I have no respect for any thing they say or do, including historic posted speed limits, as they only do it once ina while and in a couple places. iF they are going to do it, do it right, do it all the time, like 3am on the other side of the island where I live, where they have totaled 5 of my mirrors and recently wrote off my wall, about 50 feet of it was destroyed, and there is not even a report on that, or others for that matter. People settle outside of the law and so the file gets displaced permantly.

99% of the time there are no road laws followed on this island, it is wild. No doubt, Ive written off 2 cars already from bad drivers, there is no law against drinking and driving, nobody signals, hardly any cars brake lights work, most dont have insurance, let alone drivers licences, and 1 in 5 drivers run every red light, or cut off other drivers overtaking with oncoming traffic! Accidents are never investigated or measured, and NEVER cleaned up, they just leave pieces of walls or cars all in the middle of the road for other cars to crash.

Every day is a task to drive on this island - or should i say a nightmare! Weekends is a free for all for speeding over 90 outside my appartment, and after dark you will never see a traffic cop anywhere on the island .... the intelligence of the Road Traffic Inspectors leave much to imagination.

2 words - THIRD WORLD!

ok vent over with

Rory, come to the US! I hear the legal process is slow, but the sooner you start it... sounds like some of our freeways will seem familiar to you

thanks, yeah i miss real roads!

actually this was a 2 lane road, (dual carriageway) but still the island wide speed limit is stuck in the 1920's horse & carriage days - 35mph tops! My 4.0 6 litre jeep doesnt even have a mark for 35mph, its like 20, then 40

tip of the gas pedal and im hitting 60 easy .. i blame the fact that most bahamians just cant handle a vehicle, thats peobably why they keep the speed limit so slow, otherwise there will be more retarded accidents than we already have The driving instructor schools only teach yah to go 20 mph. ..25 max ..and those instructors cant even handle a car! In addition to a need for drivers ed, they need a program to speed up peoples reflexes here, they are way too slow ... can wait on a triffic light for a whole 2 minutes sometimes as thats how long it takes the driver in front to realise it has actually changed GREEN