mdavis

home security Mobotix D12-sec vs. Arecont 3130/*05series

Purchased a new home and we are working on the security system. The area has a lot of burglaries...sadly.

For the exterior cameras, I am looking at the Mobotix D12-sec-Dnight-D22N22 (could consider D43/N43). Good night+day operation is critical. Plan to power with POE (probably going with a SRW2008 - 8 port switch from linksys/cisco with full 15.4W per port). Already have the cat6 runs. The Q1755 is tempting, but I suspect the night operation is poor....esp. w/o illumination.??? I like the Arecont 3130 as well -- don't know which housing you guys would recommend for POE/outside and also which lenses are best to use? Finally, I am really interested in H.264...seems to be the best CODEC around today -- anyone know if Arecont has a 3130 like cam that supports H.264 in the works? Another know if the Mobotix D12 has a H.264 beta?

Inside the home, I plan to try to re-use the Axis 207MWs I have (2). I am worried about getting them to work with POE, but Axis told me they would last night with the 5V module?? Has anyone been successful with this? I don't use wireless.

I need one more camera inside the home -- one that will work in a dark environment for a wine cellar...was thinking one of the new 1031s, any other recommendations? I would be up to going higher end here as well, but don't need the exterior housing of the two external cams I am considering.

All cameras can be fixed, today I don't see a need for PTZ...covering the entrances.

One thing that I very much dislike about Mobotix is the MxJPEG...which limits the S/W I can use...I really wish they had H.264 support today. How bad is their S/W? Can I control the Axis 207MWs and perhaps one of the 1031Ws with the Mobotix S/W? Does it have good control of archiving and quick review....Previously, I went the open-source route and ran Zoneminder, which was feature rich, but somewhat annoying to run and maintain...

Also curious on what you guys think is the best S/W...I'll install a 6-9TB NAS for this...Will build a state-of-the-art computer to handle the load...in my searches on the forum, it was not obvious which S/W was preferred...

Finally, I should mention the house is pre-wired for 2 analog CCTVs -- looks like RG6+red/black for power...I want to go digital...considered some of the converters, but do not know of an analog camera with night/day perf. similar to the mobotix/areconts??...Is there a recommended analog-->digital converter? Saw the Axis stuff, but it was pretty spendy. Is there something really good that I have missed here?

How would you configure such a system? 3 indoor cams, 2 outdoor cams, for a home security app. Am I looking at the right equipment in your opinion?

Thanks, -m

Mobotix makes some nice cameras... and dual-imager seems to be one of the better ways to really optimize day/night performance (I'm using panasonic day/night domes on my home and they have pretty good performance, but they're not megapixel, and don't have nearly the features of the Mobotix... though they're 1/3 the price). I'm seriously considering adding a Mobotix camera in place of an extisting PTZ-mini-dome, but haven't pulled the trigger on that decision yet.

I don't know how well the Arecont dual-imagers perform... I've not looked into them due to having to buy an enclosure in addition to the camera, and I've found very few enclosures that I'd consider even remotely aesthetically-pleasing. At least the Mobotix is self-contained and weatherproof right from the start.

As for whether you should do analog in addition to the IP cams... you certainly could, but the performance compared to anything IP/megapixel isn't going to be even close. I have a mixture of analog and IP-based on my home, but the analog cameras are attached to camera servers (Axis 241Q x 2), allowing me to go with a fully IP/PC-based system. My analog cameras cover general areas, and the megapixel IP-based stuff is for areas where I want detail and/or face shots. Going PC-based also gives you a large selection of hardware, which you can replace and/or beef-up depending on what kind of additional features you want, or what kind of frame-rates you hope to capture. Storage is cheap, and going with an NAS solution in addition to your NVR box is a nice option for archiving (I'm partial to the Netgear NAS appliances... they'll take up to four drives and have gigabit ethernet).

Sounds like you have made some good selections... but take this bit of advice: build in plenty of upgrade room and excess capacity. Once you get bitten by the CCTV bug, you'll find yourself coming up with all sorts of additional things you want to do/add.

Take my word for it.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to purchase a Netgear Pro Pioneer and fill it with 1-2TB drives from WD. That is 6-1TB in total. I learned my storage capacity lesson with Zoneminder.

I bought a M1031W to play with for one of the internal cams. Already have 2 207MW...And I think I am going with 2 of the Mobotix cams. Recommended retailer?

-m

I've also looked at the Mobotix cameras, and I'm sure there are dealers here who could get you what you need, but I don't know who here retails them.

That could really be a nice feature for this site... create a "dealers" list where you could look up who deals in what, and maybe pick a distributor geographically close to you...

Come to think of it, the fact that I've never seen anything like that here doesn't mean it doesn't exist... do we have anything like that, and I just don't know about it?

Mods?

6tb storage for 4 cameras? could be a bit overkill but don't know how long you want to keep video - i have one client on a 2.5tb nas for 11 mobotix cameras and they are getting about 60days

i really like mobotix, i havent used their mx server software thats needed to integrate other mfg ip cams into their control center vms - you can view the cameras live on mx control center but to view recorded it needs mx server which puts it into a format to view which i believe is mjpeg which isnt ideal

i do have another client that uses milestone with mobotix and axis.. he preferred mobotix outdoor because of the poe, megapixel image, day/night dual chip and no additional housing

for a home system i wouldn't have a problem using the mobotix cams without integrating them with the others, the power of mobotix is that everything is done on the camera if you have it just stream to a vms app server like milestone, etc you really dumb down the cameras abilities...its a camera that you will continue to mess with it just has so many options and interesting things you can do with it - a fun camera

Yeah, 6-12TB for 5 cams...2 mobotix, 3 axis. 2 of 3 Axis are megapixel. The mobotix is 1-3 as well.

I didn't realize I needed add'l S/W from mobotix to view Axis camera feeds...one of my Axis cams support H.264 - M1031W, the others are 207MWs...I wish Mobotix would start H.264...the proprietary stuff is irritating for everyone.

Bought 2 of the M12D-sec-dnight-D22N22 today...We'll see how good it works.

I will report back on the quality. I may end up running one S/W program for Axis and another for the mobotix...we'll see...

-m

I've also looked at the Mobotix cameras, and I'm sure there are dealers here who could get you what you need, but I don't know who here retails them.

That could really be a nice feature for this site... create a "dealers" list where you could look up who deals in what, and maybe pick a distributor geographically close to you...

I'd love to be a part of that, especially for Mobotix products.

I'd love to be a part of that, especially for Mobotix products.

I sell/install Mobotix, Arecont, Axis, ACTi, and Vivotek cameras. I don't know if there is a cctvforum policy that says I can or can't sell to other members of this site. That is why I haven't said anything to any members

I'm not presuming to speak for other members, and I certainly can't presume to speak for the mods, but I'd wager that plenty of people arrive here looking for information on CCTV... that IS what the site is all about.

Many undoubtedly start out looking for information on the hows/whys of the concept, but once that has been satisfied, they're probably also looking for places to get the equipment. We have banner ads on the site, and those undoubtedly generate revenue to keep the entire enterprise going... but I'm talking about something additional.

I'm sure the mods don't want people endlessly plugging their business in threads about general information... that kind of forum spam would quickly drown out the useful information, and that's not what the site is intended to do. HOWEVER, that would be entirely different from having a sub-forum where you could go to see who in your area deals in the equipment you've decided upon. Something like "Check here for CCTV pros in your area." People can go there, see who deals in their region, and decide who they want to contact... It can be a completely neutral list, and doesn't have to be ranked in any way (I think the guys on this forum who are consistently helpful and take their time to answer the questions of newbies might garner a bit of extra business that way). It might be nice for those guys to get some return out of the hours they spend here answering questions, and generating goodwill not only for themselves, but also for the industry in general.

Take this for what it's worth. My business is healthcare. I'm not a CCTV dealer... I'm a hobbyist; I have no commercial interest in this whatsoever.

Just a thought.