I am looking at installing CCTV and been think that i would like to use the i/p camera version ...

I can see that they have there own service running but what about linking them all back to one pc to monitor them all like you do on a DVR system.

what s/w do you need and will that support different camera and makes. Dont want to get one and then find i can add another to the system and then have 2 to look at

id like to start with 1 camera then add another later but the make might be down to price ..

one good cam for main view and somthing not as good for another view just to monitor.

cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

There is more than one way to skin the cat. A "centralized" approach could be used where all IP cameras record video to a central source. There are several different software packages available for purchase that support a variety of cameras - search this forum for some great feedback from members.

A "decentralized" approach can be deployed using Mobotix cameras where all storage can take place on camera. You then Mobotix's free software to connect to one or more Mobotix cameras for viewing/searching/management. You can later choose to centralize your footage if you'd like, either through FTP, NFS or a common Windows/Samba share.

I like the Mobotix approach because it is flexible and it minimizes the startup costs. Begin with one camera and an SD card up to 16GB without any other hardware/software costs. Repeat as required.

Want to centralize your video at a later date? No problem - add a NAS box. Not happy with Mobotix's free software? No problem - go buy one of the many applications that support Mobotix cameras.

Hi thanks for the reply

I have now got the mobotix cam the D22-sec only got it today. Wished i have looked in to it a bit more as the night is not very good on this but i was in a rush and did not 100% know what i needed to look for on the night side.

the price was right less then 1/2 the best price i could find on the net so i got it.

Not used it much as i only powered it up tonight so the light was not on my side to play

Night time is not very good but guess i can sort that with another camera for just night time

or even sell the one i have and get somthing else.

or look at a nice garden light to help with my light / speed on the camera as it needs to be set very slow to get a good picture and i am sure anything i need will be moving to quick