phoenixr1

Pelco Spectra IV "Configure Failed"

Hi everyone. I'm a recently appointed technician for a large security system and I'm still learning the intricacies of the system. I just installed a Spectra IV and I'm getting the "configure Failed" error and Im not entirely sure why. It's possible I could have something hooked up wrong. My system is as follows:

271 Cameras

Verint Nextiva 1708e Encoders

Dell Poweredge 1950 Archivers

Dell Powervault MD1000 Storage

ProCurve 3500yl-24g Networking switches

Genetech Omnicast 4.1 Software

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

call pelco direct they can help you out no problem good support

a few tips,

make sure when you pop in the camera it seats correctly - line up the blue and the red arrows and let one side click in and then the 2nd side

on the lower dome you will see 2 metal pieces bend them out a bit away from the middle of the dome if you have it flipped over - some times those will rub up against the camera when its doing its initial startup config and the camera will abort the config and say failed

make sure you have at least 19vac at the camera, you should be running 24vac to the dome but check it direct at the camera if its under 19 it will fail as well in the config

check your rx + - make sure your connected to those not the tx for control from a keyboard

Thanks for the tips. As it turned out, the tilt motor is bad, and during its initial configuration, it tilts the camera through the full range of motion. It couldn't do that because the gears are bad, and so it sent up a red flag, basically saying "Something is not right". The camera still zooms and pans, but it won't tilt. I'll send it back to the company that procured it for us to get it repaired. I went with a Pelco Spec 3 we had on hand instead, which worked fine, but sometime during the afternoon, it just went out. So I go up and investigate, only to find that the metal contact plate on the bottom of the dome drive, as well as the backbox, were both very warm. I'm guessing the CPU fan in the dome drive either failed or didn't work to begin with,and it was just a matter of time before the unit heated up to the point of failure. It won't even attempt to boot up now when I plug it into a backbox. Totally fried.

Oh well, the previous technician never alluded to the Spec 3's condition before he departed, and it was just sitting in my office, so it could have very well been a bad camera from the start.

Thanks again!

If you want to repair it yourself, you can obtain parts from Time Lapse Supply. We fix all of our Pelco PTZ's in-house and the savings are quite a bit! Spectra III fans are notorious for failing every two years or so, often taking out the electronics with them. You will probably have to buy the complete DD53KIT, which includes the power supply, fan and chassis. If the tilt gears are bad, they sell them too.

I made that mistake once,the Spectra IV has the fan in the dome drive, not the backbox. Get your loaner Spectra III dome drive out, or you're going to fry it.

Spectra III drives also have the electronics fan in the dome, not the back box. It was Spectra II that had the fan in the back box.

That is right, forgot that. the advice about the locking tabs is good, I've gone back and found the dome drive sitting in the bubble. I also had one of my techs call me after he dropped a dome drive 20 feet onto concrete after he thought it was locked in. Interestingly, that dome drive still worked, just cracked the drive cover. I'm close enough to Pelco to walk my repairs in, so that helps, considering the luck we have had with Pelco the last year or so