jimmyNJ

new camera install on stone wall

i'm donig a new install where there will be two cameras. they plan to install a stone veneer to the wood, probably with a wire mesh behind the stone with mortar. i'd like a neat install without having to damage the new stone wall.

i recall there were cameras by speco that came with a weatherproof electrical box (that I could install now) and a fitting on the front of the box that fit the camera in perfectly. I have a feeling they've been discontinued.

what would you recommend when you have a stone wall to work with.

Do you have any specific cameras or types of cameras (dome, box, etc.) in mind yet?

Is this an "even" stone surface (like brick) or will it be rough and uneven?

If it's a fairly even surface, any decent weatherproof dome can just be mounted to it - just drill through the stone with a masonry bit and use long deck screws to anchor it to the wood behind.

If the stone isn't installed yet, you could perhaps mark out where the camera's back-box would go, and have the stonesetters leave an "opening" for it, so the camera is effectively countersunk in the stone. If you have the cameras in advance of the stonework going up, you could even pre-mount the backbox and just tell them to work around it. This method works especially well if the stone surface is very uneven.

They're not my favorite cameras to work with, but the Pelco IS-110/ICS-111 outdoor domes have good deep backboxes are are fairly suited for this sort of install.

Or, take a look at some of CNB's outdoor domes - I've installed tons of these, they're excellent cameras at a really good price, and again, for outdoor mountings they have a separate back-box that can be mounted first for the stone guys to build around.

I dont' know the surface, but I have a feeling it is that flat stone that is very thin and un-even. the surface would be un-even.

I planned on using a bullet camera. i remember those speco cameras that fit right on a weatherproof box.

will a wall mounted dome work well to cover an entrance on an angle?

Those CNB domes sit out a fair bit from the wall and can angle back to look right along the wall... other domes are capable of the same (although I wouldn't count the Pelcos among them). I'm not familiar with the Speco bullets, so I can't offer a direct comparison.

The Speco dome you're talking about is the HT7426IHR , it has a separate back box available for that type of mounting. It will look down a wall, but the dome cover is a REALLY tight fit, you have to fiddle with the mount a long time to get it right, and you will probably scratch the inside of the dome.

We have used a lot of the Pelco's too.... I'm still just kind of lukewarm about those, even though I'm in Pelco's backyard. Jury here's still out on whether the French will kill or cure them.

The Speco bullet/ dome hybrid, HTINTD8 , is really nice, good picture, and the back is sealed, so all you have to weatherproof is the pigtail connectors, and the dome body would not have to seal perfectly to the wall. They look good in a commercial setting, too.

I've gone out too many times to look at a failed Pelco, etc. dome and found it looking like a fishbowl half full of water. Conduit makes a great water pipe into the dome, if your installer is not careful.

Well I talked with my distributor and decided to go with the Nuvico CABJ which is an alumnium back box and then I will install CVWMI wall mount bracket and dome camera

The rest of the building is hard stucco, I drilled through the wood ahead of time and pushed through my RG59/2. I planned to use bullet cameras here and I want to hide the power/video connector back inside the hole.

What would do, make a bigger hole now or wait until the stucco is up and cut a larger hole? I planned to use a bullet camera by CCTVStar SB-420. No eaves here at all. Is this camera a good idea?