frogman

High res analog camera, to much white light!

I have installed on kodicom PC based system an high res camera that uses 520TVL , the manufacturer is YHDO no one famous. It is in the room that has a day and night lights during the day and a lot of slot machines. The proplem with the camera , I use autoris lens but there is a lot of white light, when someone is near the camera the white light is all over him and I cannot recognize him because of the white light reflecting, I can recognize a lot of thing the picture is not bad but it is not worht watching. I have tried all the settings with the OSD behind the camera but no luck, AGC BLC, shutter set to 50 and such. Did you have similar effect to this kind of cameras. Thanks in advance.

Look for an adjustment (possibly a small screw) labeled "DC DRIVE" or "LENS LEVEL" or something similar...

Look for an adjustment (possibly a small screw) labeled "DC DRIVE" or "LENS LEVEL" or something similar...

I think I saw the orange screw, what is this setting for and you think this could help?

If the lens is a DC-iris type, the iris (aperture) of the lens is controlled by the camera - as the scene gets brighter, the iris closes down to the restrict the light; when the scene gets darker, the iris opens to allow more light.

Most cameras with DC-iris control will have an adjustment, either in the OSD menus (on cameras that have that), or a small potentiometer that's accessible through a hole in the camera body (it will usually look like small screw-head), that allows you to adjust the reference level for the lens drive.

It may be necessary to adjust that level.

I think that my lens is on video because when I switch it to DC i won't work, does DC mean that the lens has other power supply, when the lens is on video what other settings can I do?

Well, if you have an auto-iris lens and you haven't enabled the control on the camera, then yeah, that could be part of the problem. If you enable it and the scene just goes dark, it probably means the camera is just closing the iris because of its sensitivity settings... so again, you need to find the DC level control and adjust it for proper brightness.

I think that my lens is on video because when I switch it to DC i won't work, does DC mean that the lens has other power supply, when the lens is on video what other settings can I do?

In a DC Iris Lens, the camera contains the circuitry that senses the light level and sends a DC control voltage to the lens that opens and closes the iris.

In a Video Iris Lens, the lens contains the circuitry that senses the light level and the camera sends raw video and power to the lens.

You can tell the difference by whether there are adjustments for gain and level on the lens or not. A DC Iris Lens has no adjustment screws (potentiometers); A Video Iris Lens has the adjustment potentiometers, usually under two rubber caps. Most modern lenses are DC iris. They are simpler to adjust - just adjust the iris control on a bright scene for proper contrast (1 volt peak-to-peak or 100IRE if using a meter) or so the picture is clear if using a monitor.