mozzz

hi from UK, IPLEX MPEG-4 problem

hi,

i am trying to set up a CCTV ip camera and have an iplex h264 DVR

it came with a video player that plays the MPEG-4 footage the DVR records.

It seems there is no other player that can play these files. Searched for CODECs high and low. i want to append files and send files via email.

any ideas?

thanks Mozzz

Which other video players have you tried? The usual recommendation is to try VLC. You should obviously be looking for MPEG-4 H264 CODECs rather than just MPEG-4 but I would assume you know that

ive tried them all, the DVR creates files that can only be played back with the MP4 player that came with the DVR.

Its irritating because i want to split some files, add captions etc which i can do easily with avi files.

The other bigger problem is that i can view the CCTV in realtime through the local network, but not via an external network eg the internet. Ive set up Port Forwarding in the router, and

also i set up Dyndns to keep tracking the dynamic IP but it still says the usual 'cannot connect' error you see on an IE8 browser.

Its to make sure carers do their job and intruders are caught on camera for a bed ridden elderly person. anyt help greatly appreciated

Have you tried converting to another format for editing purposes? Obviously if it's in a 'custom' MP4 format (most likely a special header rather than the video itself) then that might not be possible.

As a last resort you could use a screen recording program:

http://camstudio.org/

As for remote connectivity are you sure it's not being blocked by a firewall? Are you able to 'ping' it? Perhaps try another browser?

thanks squiffy, dont know what i did, but i can now view camera via the DVR and router remotely, although to say its streaming would stretch the imagination, its more like viewing a slow slide show where the image changes every 5 minutes, i need to somehow work out how to condense the transmission of the video.

can anyone recommend CCTV general software that perhaps could help with this?

I think the MP4 codec is specific to IPLEX so you cant doctor the video, eg if the video was needed for court purposes.

If it's only very slow via the internet connection it may simply be a lack of bandwidth, what is your net connection speed? Is there any other program also using the connection at the same time?

You might want to check your stream upload settings, perhaps you've set it to a quality level which is just too high for your internet connection to handle.