Metrico

Axis night use & acti question

I'm still planning out a cctv system for our company, and still trying to learn enough to do it right the first time. All of the cameras will be indoors. The cameras would be the following Axis models: 211M, 209MFD, and 209FD. Are IR illuminators needed to ensure a good nighttime picture, or is their sensitivity enough on their own?

Also, I'm planning a lower cost option as part of the proposal. This second system centers around ACTi cameras. The ones I'd be using here are 1511 and possibly the 3311. Anyone have any comments about these models?

Thanks in advance!

I'm still planning out a cctv system for our company, and still trying to learn enough to do it right the first time. All of the cameras will be indoors. The cameras would be the following Axis models: 211M, 209MFD, and 209FD. Are IR illuminators needed to ensure a good nighttime picture, or is their sensitivity enough on their own?

Also, I'm planning a lower cost option as part of the proposal. This second system centers around ACTi cameras. The ones I'd be using here are 1511 and possibly the 3311. Anyone have any comments about these models?

Thanks in advance!

You will need to use Day/Night cameras if you want good nighttime images. None of the Axis cameras you listed will work at night or with IR. Axis cameras that are day/night and can see IR is 225FD, 221, 223M, Q1755 plus the PTZ cameras. The cheapest one on the list is $999.

Go with ACTI or Arecont for Megapixel Day/Night.

Go with Arecont A3130. I have been doing some research for a Day Night camera. The Arecont A3130 seems to have the most bang for the buck. I own other Arecont cameras, and they haven't failed me yet.

Go with Arecont A3130. I have been doing some research for a Day Night camera. The Arecont A3130 seems to have the most bang for the buck. I own other Arecont cameras, and they haven't failed me yet.

What NVR software our you using with the 3130? I just got in the 5 megapixel DN and I very impressed with the night time images.

I have a customer with 5 Arecont 3130 cameras. They got 4 currently installed and they want one more installed next week.

I used NUUO NVR IP+ software installed on a Core 2 QUAD. The final project for this customer will be a mix of analog and IP cameras and spanned over 5 sites. They like NUUO so far for it's simplicity. There not having to call me whenever they need to do a simple search and they are really happy with the picture quality.

I forgot about this post, thanks for the input! I ended up going with ACTi 3511s across the board.

I do like the 3511's, I did find a couple of issues, though.

They are not a 3 axis gimbal, and the day/ night threshold is a little high (4 Lux), and not adjustable in S/W like the 7411's.

In the application I installed, we had to fabricate wall mounts, and the cameras oscillate between B/W and color even in pretty good lighting. They do deliver a pretty good picture, though, and the price point is good.

They are not a 3 axis gimbal, and the day/ night threshold is a little high (4 Lux), and not adjustable in S/W like the 7411's.

In the application I installed, we had to fabricate wall mounts, and the cameras oscillate between B/W and color even in pretty good lighting. They do deliver a pretty good picture, though, and the price point is good.

I can't find the day/night threshold on the 7411. What page is it under on the web interface?

Thinking back, I think it was just a Color only/ B/W only/ auto switch. I don't have one handy right now to check, but I've got one coming in soon, & check it.... BTW, the threshold was 7 lux, not the 4 lux I said before...Another hiccup with the 3511 was that the rubber isolator between the lens and IR LED's turns the camera when you put the dome on. You have to start with the camera pre-turned a little to compensate.

They are going mounted on a drop ceiling so positioning shouldn't be a huge problem. Hopefully lighting should also be pretty binary for the camera since it is an office. Thanks for the input, I'll keep those tidbits of info in mind.

How do you think that camera would do in a low lit bar?

Not sure, where I have the 3511's is pretty well lit 24/7. Would think it would be comparable to the 7411 (IE in B/W all the time, but a pretty good B/W picture), if that works for you. Bars are tough for CCD, let alone CMOS.

How do you think that camera would do in a low lit bar?

Not sure, where I have the 3511's is pretty well lit 24/7. Would think it would be comparable to the 7411 (IE in B/W all the time, but a pretty good B/W picture), if that works for you. Bars are tough for CCD, let alone CMOS.

B/W image is fine because would be replacing a B/W analog camera. Customer wants a wider shot with more detail so I was thinking the 3511 might work because we have been happy with the 1231 and the 7411 but you never know until you have the camera installed.