Kenzo

FTP backup

I have set up an FTP Server (proftpd) on a Linux box on my LAN. I have a 16 channel DVR - VER M5-3.02 and have configured it to FTP 'File' - also tried 'Event'. Autoback up is on. It is logging in to the Server but its not sending the files. I thought it might be a directory problem but think I have eliminated that - tried empty 'directory' entry and also tried '/'. The Server looks to be setting the directory ok on login. I can up load to the server from an FTP client without a problem - tried small and large files in case it was a size issue.

Its got me stumped. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Still trying to figure this out. I found that the auth.log shows an error "cannot determine display-device". The user session is then closed.

Anyone know what the DVR sends to the FTP server?

I see you've been asking about this on the Ubuntu forums as well

Been a long time since I actually looked into the transaction details of an FTP transfer, but I'm wondering if the server is requesting some kind of system-type identifier from the DVR, and not getting a response?

Here's a thought: log in from your working client and then check the logfiles to see what entries are created for it... then do the same with the DVR and check the entries for that. Knowing at what point in the handshake the DVR kacks while the PC login is successful might help determine what's missing or incorrect.

Post the log results here if you want, and I'll see if I can make sense of them (urgh, gonna hafta browse those ancient RFDs again!)

I'm not at home, or I'd check how various clients work connecting to my own FTP server, and what log entries they generate...

Thanks soundy . Not a lot of help from the Ubuntu forum so far. There are a lot of very good people over there but also a lot of dead wood.

I think my problem has something to do with ConsoleKit and the PAM. There is a method in ConsultKit named GetDisplayDevice. The DVR doesn't have a display device like a 'normal' FTP client so I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

I've been hoping someone could explain how to prevent the GetDisplayDevice from occurring. I don't know if its in a conf file or hardcoded somewhere. Do you know any good reference sites? I'd like to be able to disable it just for a particular user (ie the DVR).

Thanks for the suggestion re the log files - I did that already. That's where I found that the DVR session is closing after the "cannot determine display-device" error. Its in the auth.log.

I was thinking of adding an ExtendedLog to see if that turned up anything useful. What do you think?

I'd love to know if someone else in the forum has setup autobackup through FTP on a DVR?