destro_23

HTML 5 Compliance Anyone have anything in the works?

HTML 5 Compliance anyone?

Just wondering if any of the major companies are looking into HTML 5 as a solution for viewing cameras over the web? Along with that it would be MUCH easier to also have a universal PDA/iPhone/SmartPhone version..

Think anyone is even looking at that?

you don't need html5 to do what you are asking. many companies have browser based solutions now. it's just that native apps tend to be more intuitive and better served as they have access to low level api of the host device.

you don't need html5 to do what you are asking. many companies have browser based solutions now. it's just that native apps tend to be more intuitive and better served as they have access to low level api of the host device.

The thing with HTML5 compliance is you DON"T need any special plugins or activX controls.. there are video and media standards built into html5.. thus any browser that can render html5 will have these features.

Theres already Java and Javascript options for Browser based video.

as mentioned above though a client app is much better. For one thing viewing the video within a browser has its own drawbacks.

Not sure if what video features you mentioned in this HTML5 will work for us, do you have any info on this?

a couple of notes on it so far from what i have been reading.

the codec support at this time will lack h264 so for video surveillance that is pretty bad. it's basically MS going against this codec and they are part of the consortium developing the standard.

the new elements are basic: a new video and audio element. about all you can do with video is call the stream with height and width. no i or p frames changing, bandwidth selection, etc. to match what you are using it for.

also from what i see it is going to be awhile before the final draft is approved. like most things based on groups it takes forever to get consensus on the most minute details; never mind the whole draft.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/

as also mentioned controls are not intuitive. how does say an iphone know when i swipe is for moving the browser page around as opposed to ptz controls? it becomes button based and not as intuitive as a native may be.

Which companies have browser based solutions?

I know VideoInsight have a nice (albeit limited) web interface, but most I have seen still require ActiveX and therefore do not work on anything other that Internet Explorer under Windows.

We at Xanview have tried to embrace HTML5 and other web standards. The stable version still uses Flash to view recorded video (live video uses javascript), but the upcoming version will allow switching to the HTML5 video tag to remove this dependency.