bpzle

"Bullet" by Ubiquiti Networks. How does it work?

I stumbled accross this company that deals with long range wireless IP communication. The product I'm particularly interested in is called the "Bullet." Couple this with an IP camera or DVR and a directional antenna, I could think of some really cool solutions for a lot of clients.

Does anyone know exactly how this company's products work? I'm having a little trouble of putting all the pieces together.

So far I've read that the "Bullet" requires PoE and a directional anntenna. I get that, but how does it connect to your router/ switch to get on your network? How does your network switch know how to talk to this thing? Do you just plug one Bullet into a port on your switch and another Bullet at the camera/ DVR and your switch thinks it has a normal wired ethernet connection? It would be nice to have a simple diagram somewhere on this company's site but it's nowhere to be found. They should have a "wireless networks for dummies" page.

They do have documentation available on their website under the wiki for the "AirOS" that most of their equipment uses.. try here http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_bridge_internet_connections for your most likely setup...

Incidentally, I have found their equipment to be very good performing, and priced much better than most marketed to the cctv industry ( many wireless ISP's use their products.)

I started with parts marketed to the CCTV industry, but soon found much better performing products in the wireless ISP category (Ubiquiti, Mikrotik, ARC Wireless, Etc.) Some have a steep learning curve, but offer much better performance.

They do have documentation available on their website under the wiki for the "AirOS" that most of their equipment uses.. try here http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_bridge_internet_connections for your most likely setup...

Incidentally, I have found their equipment to be very good performing, and priced much better than most marketed to the cctv industry ( many wireless ISP's use their products.)

I started with parts marketed to the CCTV industry, but soon found much better performing products in the wireless ISP category (Ubiquiti, Mikrotik, ARC Wireless, Etc.) Some have a steep learning curve, but offer much better performance.

Check out www.streakwave.com All they sell is wireless. I haven't used Ubiquiti products but my contact at streakwave can answer any questions you might have about them. We have had good luck with the EnGenius product..... if you need a cheap long range outdoor product check out EOC-2610