DoorMan

Using Wireshark to sniff ACTi TCM-5311

Having some trouble while trying to determine URL resource path in ACTi 5311. Camera not directly supported by LuxRiot (yet) and want to configure Generic camera JPEG compatible. Using Wireshark and am not quite able to determine proper URL path using HTTP packets captured using Wireshark.

Any advice for me?

Well I guess video cannot be done this way. It appears it is TCP based and not HTTP at all...... Snapshots are no problem. Time to wait for the Luxriot guys to make it work.

Having some trouble while trying to determine URL resource path in ACTi 5311. Camera not directly supported by LuxRiot (yet) and want to configure Generic camera JPEG compatible. Using Wireshark and am not quite able to determine proper URL path using HTTP packets captured using Wireshark.

Any advice for me?

I assume you are talking about ACTi TCM-5311. My furst guess would be trying to set it up as CAM 53x1 models, or Generic RTSP Compatible model.

104707_1.png

Perhaps you can put it online for some time and contact support@luxriot to see if it can be configured to work with LuxRiot.

Thanks Roman,

I did try the CAM-53x1 models listed. I only was able to get two snapshots (one from each model #) before the camera disconnected (aborted). It appears the packet containing User ID, Password and query are sent only once, and then TCP packets are sent to refresh the image which poses a problem to retrieve video but not nessecarily snapshots. For instance this works well for retrieving stills:

http://192.168.1.104/cgi-bin/encoder?USER=Admin&PWD=123456&SNAPSHOT

And of course, for generic setup, I don't have URL to cameras resource peth i.e cgi-bin/video.cgi and such.

It is interesting, I don't want to mess with ACTi SDK and need a working solution to cover several brands of camera. I'm stuck...until LuxRiot comes through I suppose.

Thanks for your help as ny knowledge is very limited in this area.

I did try the CAM-53x1 models listed. I only was able to get two snapshots (one from each model #) before the camera disconnected (aborted). It appears the packet containing User ID, Password and query are sent only once, and then TCP packets are sent to refresh the image which poses a problem to retrieve video but not nessecarily snapshots. For instance this works well for retrieving stills:

http://192.168.1.104/cgi-bin/encoder?USER=Admin&PWD=123456&SNAPSHOT

And of course, for generic setup, I don't have URL to cameras resource peth i.e cgi-bin/video.cgi and such.

It is interesting, I don't want to mess with ACTi SDK and need a working solution to cover several brands of camera. I'm stuck...until LuxRiot comes through I suppose.

JPEG snapshots are supported by these cameras but it is a last resort getting any pictures from them.

To help LuxRiot work with this camera, if this is possible without specific updates from LuxRiot, you need to go to camera web interface, choose Streaming version 2.0, RTP mode and check port number. For RTSP protocol it is by default 554, but AFAIR ACTi has a different value (7070?). Choose MPEG-4, not H.264 (H.264 bay be also supported, but MPEG-4 has more chances to be compatible with older ACTi models).

If the port number is not 554, in LuxRiot you might need to provide it in configuration also (if you decided to setup the camera as Generic RTSP). Also in LuxRiot you have more chances to get these cameras working if you change Generic RTSP camera's properties to use RTP over UDP (as opposed to default RTP over TCP).

Hey thanks alot guys,

I did try to execute what you both told me here but still no go. I left an email with Dave at ACTi and within a very short while he called me back to tell me that it just was not possible without LuxRiot doing their bit first... The firmware for the TCM series is different than any other before it.

He mentioned however there is a work-around for this in beta form and he will try to release that to me as a temporary solution until LuxRiot gets their end sorted. Of course to revert back to the latest firmware at that time...

At this point I have to say that for customer service they are aces. The camera is very nice as well and is everything I expected it to be using both Fujinon mega-lenses and even the cheaper F .95 non mega-lens as well. I'll post some comparo's once I get this all worked through.

Thanks all!

not sure about that model but we have been working with them directly for about a month now (they lent us an 8511) on getting a mjpg stream into our mobile phone apps and have been successful. they will probably release the new firmware soon which if we support i am sure LuxRiot will also. it is standard mjpg.

the problem with most systems and the jpg snapshot method is that they do not use a standard authentication method so most software will need to make an exception to process their method.

haven't tried their mpg4 stream yet but their sdk is well documented if you really want to do into it.

ptz is tough. we are working on it now though.

not sure about that model but we have been working with them directly for about a month now (they lent us an 8511) on getting a mjpg stream into our mobile phone apps and have been successful. they will probably release the new firmware soon which if we support i am sure LuxRiot will also. it is standard mjpg.

the problem with most systems and the jpg snapshot method is that they do not use a standard authentication method so most software will need to make an exception to process their method.

haven't tried their mpg4 stream yet but their sdk is well documented if you really want to do into it.

ptz is tough. we are working on it now though.

Yes, for example the development you did on the 8511 isn't directly applicable to the TCM series camera's. It revolves around authentication and how it is presented. How much different it is is well above my level of understanding. I'm sure you could make it work for your package. I was told that any development of interface with the TCM series requires receipt of SDK specific to TCM series. LuxRiot (for instance) would have to procure this so I was informed.

I've tried several more ways after giving up on this a week or so ago to no avail. This with the help of some guys "in the know" so to speak. Still have not received solution from ACTI or LuxRiot but I'm sure it's just around the bend. I don't believe I could develop an application using SDK within any reasonable amount of time. The end result would be less than desireable and ultimately utilitarian in nature at best because of my skill set.....

Total Control has my attention, you have truely been busy over there. I'm a Windows Mobile device fan. Thanks for your input!

yes the one i have is ACM8511N but i think it applies to any series. i have to double check.

the mjpg stream supports normal authentication method. i know exactly what you are talking about with them. this issue is true for their other streams like jpg snapshot. they have finally decided to do it standard.

the TCM series is not included as you stated. not at this point. still the jpg snapshot method is no so hard to implement. there are quite a few manufacturers who use this non standard type of method for authentication. best to tackle 1 now so you can support all of them later on.