8dr

Is Everfocus really THAT bad?

I am relatively new to the dvr world but I have 6 quicklube oil change stores that I wanted to be able to review the work my employees perform on my customers cars and obviously watch what they do when I'm not at the store. Being a do-it-yourselfer I purchased 3 systems that I installed myself. (3 out of the 6 stores) Two of them are the dsr800 dvrs made by webgate inc. and the 3rd is the Everfocus edsr900 that I just purchased online for $999. The 2 dsr800's I purchased for $2100 ea. You can see why I purchased the Everfocus unit. Since then I found this site and realized I may have made a mistake with at least the Everfocus unit, maybe even the webgate unit. I will say the webgate is a better built unit if you compare the 2 but is also quite pricey. So far the main thing I dislike about the Everfocus is it cannot support the Dynamic ISP without CONSTANTLY updating the IP address. (The PC at this store is a dedicated unit that is LINUX based and comes only with the companys software installed, I do not feel I have the knowledge or courage to try to install a software to automaticly update my IP through my DYNDNS account) The webgate unit has a built in webserver(?) so I can view it remotely without a problem. I am in the process of changing my internet service at the everfocus location to a static IP account next week.

I guess my question is is there a unit out there that can serve my needs that of course is in the middle of the 2 price ranges of the units I already have? Also, is either unit really that bad? I am new to this stuff, but have been getting interested enough in it to get serious about forming a small company to install units locally in my markets. Thanks-Kevin

Kevin,

How many cameras do you use per location and do you record all the cameras? I want to establish how many ports DVR do you use.

Levon

Hi Kevin, the DVR doesnt have to support Dynamic DNS for you to be able to use that feature. Just purchase a Linksys or DLink router, that has DDNS, which I think all do. Do your port forwarding in the router for the DVRs Ports, and internal IPs, and set up a free account with the DDNS server.

Now for it to work as far as browser based, Everfocus has browser based, not sure on the other DVR, I will have to do a search for that, unless you have a link or know off hand?

In other words, if the DVR has an HTTP server built in, not just regular LAN, but an HTTP server, then it will use browser based. Everfocus does have this. No its not the best choice of a low end DVR, but you have it, so can still use it

If you have a router, and have trouble sorting out getting the DDNS to work, let me know.

Basically you have already spent so its too late now ..but then again you could always sell them and buy the same DVR for all stores.

At $2100 you could have come close to a GE Kalatel Stand Alone DVR, if you want to spend less, let us know.

What are your needs in the DVR?

Rory

I use a no brand standalone, better then the everfocus-

pm me and ill send you info, i think you could buy online or purchase from outside of this country- about same price but 16channels.....

You can compare the specs and see how you go.....

Everfocus is just cheap... cameras are sometimes ok for quality but theres better around for same if not better pricing....

cheers

Thanks Rory for replying. I have a d-link router configured in. My problem is that when the IP changes I can no longer view over the internet. I then have to drive back to store and reset the ip on my DYNDNS account. Are you saying the everfocus can do this for me?

My needs for a DVR are pretty basic. A) Review a service performed on a customers car if desired by myself or customer. B) View whats going on at a store when not there.(Internet) C) Catch a thief!! Thats pretty much it. I don't feel I need the best system out there but I don't want junk either. I have been using Everfocus cameras at a couple of the stores and they seem pretty nice. Thanks-Kevin

Kevin,

How many cameras do you use per location and do you record all the cameras? I want to establish how many ports DVR do you use.

Levon

The 3 units I have now are 8 channel. Record mostly with motion to get the most from the drives. I would like to maybe upgrade to 16 if a good model/price. As I stated I don't need the best but don't want junk either. Something that requires little maintenance. Thanks-Kevin

Ok as for setting up the Dlink ..

Im using a Linksys, but I Followed these specs.

I set up an account on DynDNs.org ..its what the router supported, I chose the first one. I got a user account in a couple minutes. Then in the Routers DDNS section, you enter your username, password, and hostname (which you created on DynDns.org)

Also, under Virtual Servers in Dlink, or Applications and Gaming in a Linksys Router, find out what ports your DVR uses.

First, in your DVR's network settings, enter an internal IP out of the range of your routers DHCP server ..

Also make sure to use the correct subnet and gateway. Your HTTP port should be there also, remember that for the router. LET the router do your DDNS, not the DVR. So turn if of in the DVR. Use a fixed IP etc.

To find out your local Internal Range, Subnet, gateway, in XP, command Prompt, and enter IPCONFIG.

In the router Port Forwarding, or as in the Dlink, Virtual Server, create a name for each port forward, see the image examples below. for the HTTP server it is generally TCP and Port 80 to 80. Enable it.

Also set up other ports as needed such as for the client software, which can be something other than port 80, depends on the DVR.

Restart everything, wait a few minutes and you should never have to reset anything, once the router is working good.

linksys eg is below

dlink0.gif

dlink1.gif

Linksys: with 2 different DVRs - note the 2 internal IPs, 201 and 202.

linksys1.gif

Thanks! I refigured my router and it works good so-far. I can view remotely without problems. -Kevin