pattcom

Looking for playback software suited for CCTV

I would like to find good playback software that is well suited for CCTV reviewing.

Most playback software seems more designed for sitting back and watching a movie.

I would love to find something with a jog-type feature to help scroll to a desired frame.

You get a sliding bar with most players, but you do not see the image change until you stop and hit play again. The Speco player program I have does not even have a sliding bar at the bottom.

So if you are reviewing a file, for instance, you can fast forward, but if something catches your eye, it would be great to be able to scroll back to that spot and see what was there, then sort of zero in on a frame to save or print out.

The applications I have are for security, where we may need to review various actions of people in the recording.

Anyone know of something that fits this description?

Thanks

Charles

VLC Player combined with K-Lite Codec Pack will play just about every format known to man. It has the "scrub bar" that will update as you slide it *in most cases*. Keep in mind that this functionality may not work, or work fully, with certain video formats, so it's partially a limitation of the video itself, not necessarily the player.

VLC is what I use most of the time. But the slide bar didn't seem to update with .avi or some other files I was using. I'll take a look at the codec packs.

Thanks

Like I said, the slider won't work on certain video formats. Something that's I-frame based will be spotty at best, as you'll only get a full update on every I-frame. This will be true with any media player though; it's a function of the encoding used.

The codec pack probably won't help this particular issue, either... it's good for supporting other non-standard codecs that some DVRs use, that otherwise might not play back at all.

I'd suggest using VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod. Although intended for editing, the playback is ideal for CCTV viewing. In addition, there are plugins you can use to zoom and enhance the video if required.