dawgenstein

What kind of video signal is the "Spot Video" from

I have a Q-See QSD2316L 16-channel DVR security system that offers a Spot-video out. The connection requires a BNC Cable. The manual gives little description other than

"SPOT OUT--Connect to monitor as an AUX output channel for one channel. Only displays video, not menu".

I have connected a Coax cable to this output jack and plugged it into the back of a small TV set but only get a garbled picture.

Do I just need to buy an RF modulator and plug this signal into it to broadcast out to a "channel 3 or channel 4 VHF" signal?

Or will this only work plugged into the RCA video jack on a newer TV set?

Note that the DVR also has a VGA output which I already have working by plugging a computer monitor. I'd just like to broadcast the Spot video signal to a downlink on my IBM Home Director panel so that I can watch it in other rooms in my house.

It's very possible the DVR will only allow video from one or the other output. It should also be baseband video. Try disconnecting the VGA and you may need to reboot the DVR and see what happens.

Spot output will be composite video, not RF. To get it into a TV, you need to either use an A/V input (usually a yellow RCA jack), or you need to use a modulator to feed it to an RF (cable/antenna) input.

I wouldn't expect it to be an "either/or", since the whole point of a spot monitor is to give a video output separate of the main display.

Spot output will be composite video, not RF. To get it into a TV, you need to either use an A/V input (usually a yellow RCA jack), or you need to use a modulator to feed it to an RF (cable/antenna) input.

I wouldn't expect it to be an "either/or", since the whole point of a spot monitor is to give a video output separate of the main display.

You are correct---I moved a new TV set near the DVR and confirmed it is a composite video signal (RCA jack plugin to TV).

Now I just need to find a tunable RF modulator to use with my Home Director system. I already am feeding a signal on Channel 3 so I need to find an RF modulator that will allow the selection of a higher channel. I tested with a cheap Ch3/Ch4 modulator later today but on Ch4 it interferes with the existing Ch3 signal I'm already sending down the line.

For a RF modulator, the NetMedia MM70 works nicely, and allows CATV channels 70-94, 100-125.

If you need other feeds for your home, they also have a 3 channel model.