Sign in to follow this  
cam_masterflex

Need help with Wave Ether9808 software

Hi.

I purchased a new DVR card that came with the Ether9808 software. I installed it and everything is going right, works good, seems to be recording and playbacks fine. Everything was going fine until an officer asked me to burn him a DVD video of something that happened outside my property. Fine, I found the video files that ether9808 was recording, it ended with a file extension of *.dvr so I tried to use Nero Burning Rom to create a DVD video as I would with a regular mpg or avi file, but it didnt read it. I can only open it up with ether's player. Since this was a 2 minune clip he needed I used a screen capturing program to capture the frames as it was playing thorugh the player and then saved the work as an mpeg2 video and I solved. But there has been other times that an officer has asked me for a range of hours of videos when I was on time lapse VCR and all what I had to do was scan the tape and dub it at high speed in a matter than in less than 10 minutes I already has a copy of those 2 hours segments into another VHS tape. Now that I wend digital, everything is slower, cant get past real time speed when I need to process videos because I cant find a transcoder to convert every *.dvr files into *.mpg files that my production softwares can understand. Also, I cannot get Ether9808 to stop saving videos under that format of *.dvr

I need assistance in getting ether9808 to record directly to mpg format, that all files in my hard drive ends with *.mpg and not with *.dvr that way Nero can process the videos in 20x+ of speeds and I can have my DVD playable disc ready without me having to wait minute by minute to create the compilation.

Based on my research online, I found out that *.dvr is some how a proprietary video format used by some dvr card software developers, and different software developers varies in their format and language of their version of *.dvr format. Since I dont need to record in *.dvr format I need to learn how to disable this on the software.

Also, my next question. Why Ether9808 picks *.dvr as its default format, is that a way of they making more money off users by sellling them later on addon packs that lets the user do more with its *.dvr files? I can't think of a good logical explanation for this software wanting to record in *.dvr format by default (I hope this can be user changeable).

Many thanks!

I dont have experience with wave p's softwares, but must video capture softwares have an option that lets you choose what formats and even codecs you would like to have your videos saved on your hard drive. It could be a matter of unchecking *.dvr and choosing *.mpg or *.avi format and choosing a good encoder such as divx if your software have such list. You may even install K Lite codec pack to see if you can make adopt ether9808 record from one of k-lite supported codecs. This is only general information as to I have never seen the ether9808 software or any of wave-p's softwares. I cant really comment on it on its specifics. You may have to wait until a member here that uses the same software as you helps you out in the specifics if my suggestions doesn't help.

The card that I am using is using the Digigue software, this software records in *.avi format by default and can be read by any player after installing the standard DivX codec. My DVD mastering software takes it very fine when ever I need to mater a DVD Movie compilation of evidences into a playable DVD disc. I posted this as a side note for your consideration in case if you have trouble with the Ether software you are using, anyways, I hope you are able to resolve it without you having to do further investment into more cards/softwares, etc.

Good luck.