Cleanboy

Which CCTV management software to use

I have just stumbled on to our helpful and informative site, with a CCTV design question.

I am busy designing an IP CCTV system to monitor a 7km perimeter and a 200sqm cars-park. In total there will be 110 static IP cameras on the perimeter, 25 static IP cameras and 5 PTZ cameras on the car-park. It is likely that I will be using Bosch IP camera due to their quality, local support and 3 years swoop guarantee (Middle East). I will be using an NVR as opposed to a DVR system.

My problem is that I can not decide on which monitoring/management software and head-end equipments to use for my project. 3 different softwares have been presented to me and they all look good. Please assist me in making a decision.

1. A Bosch vender is trying to sell me Bosch BVMS because it is a tried & tested system, very easy to use and it is reasonably priced.

2. Another agent is pushing Endura WS5000 (Pelco) down my throat, apparently for its capability to handle up to 500 cameras per unit, as opposed to other system where. With any other system I have been made to understand that I will need at least 3 NVRs to manage the site.

3. An Intelligent Video Surveillance agent (3Xlogics) tried to persuade me that Vigil VCM can not be compared to any other system. This is because of it is sophistication, technical capabilities including proactive fault finding of all the adjacent equipments etc.

I have always read and heard that IndigoVision is the best in the market.

Please advice. Which one should I choose.

Any advice on the actual question or my design is welcome. Thanks alot

You do have quite a few to choose from. I like:

Milestone - easy to use, very well supported, not many issues that I've experienced. http://www.milestonesys.com/home

ONSSI - Love that Ocularis interface... like an iphone! I think it's the best looking interface out there. They run on Milestone (at least i think they still do). http://www.onssi.com/

Genetec - is there anything this software does not do! Also, nice interface. http://www.genetec.com/English/Pages/Default.aspx

VideoEdge (American Dynamics) - love the fact that it's Linux and very nice architecture, but... the GUI works but needs a face-lift and they don't support as many cameras as the others!

In my opinion, the top 3 are the ones to choose from! We use VideoEdge because our existing AD clients will eventually have one sw platform to communicate with their existing product.

As for the 3 you've seen, I haven't done anything with any of them. Sorry, i can't help you there! Only thing i can say is the reason we never used Endura or Indigo is because both are very much proprietary systems (a lot more than most anyway). You need Endura storage or Indigo cameras only and Endura workstation, Indigo Encoders and so on... All the others let you use what you want. Not that you have to you something else, but if you run into issues... it's nice to have options!

For example:

I like to use Axis cameras (www.axis.com) because of their progressive scan technology. I think their video looks good and when I've got people walking through the scene or I'm moving a pan-tilt camera... i get a clean image.

I like Panasonic (http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/home.asp) and Sony (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-securitycameras/) cameras too.

I like Ganz for my down and dirty IP solution because they do 95% of what i need a system to do at a great price! And, i use them instead of the original vendor because they stock stuff and support is good.

I like Intransa (http://www.intransa.com/) because at least they've tested their iSCSI storage with many popular DVR's and NVR's. And, now they offer VideoAppliances so I can be sure that the device I'm putting in to run my NVR has been tested with the NVR platform i choose. Less chance for failure! Plus it is pretty good looking for a bright green device! I can certainly look in any rack and quickly identify my NVR and Storage!

Bottom line, none of the 3 you've seen are going anywhere so you can be sure you'll be supported. My only other suggestion may be to get yourself a ticket to Anaheim, CA and head out to the ASIS 2009 show Sept 21-23. You'll see everything there! Go here to sign up for a free pass - http://www.americandynamics.net/whoweare/events.aspx (plus there are some great parties to attend)

Good Luck!

3. An Intelligent Video Surveillance agent (3Xlogics) tried to persuade me that Vigil VCM can not be compared to any other system. This is because of it is sophistication, technical capabilities including proactive fault finding of all the adjacent equipments etc.

I can't comment on the superlatives because I haven't used any of the other systems listed to compare it with, but we're used 3xLogic's VIGIL systems on a number of sites for years, and found the software to be excellent all-around. The central management utility works great for health monitoring and multiple sites/multiple systems can be integrated nicely. The great thing is, the software works the same for NVR and DVR so if you ever do need to add hybrid analog capability, it can all be done in the same interface and same systems - just add the supported analog capture hardware.

i'd have to 2nd ONSSI. i ran through their whole demo at the last ISC West and was blown away. btw they use Milestone's recording engine but take it to a whole other level. Excellent functionality and good UI development.

I use Milestone a lot, and am happy about everything except the pricing, they seem to think it's made of gold. If ONSSI's gui is better, use it. One of them is the other one's bastard stepchild, not sure which.

Upside of using one vendor for cams and management S/W- one company to yell at when something goes wrong, and usually a little bit better control over the cams.

Downside of one vendor is that you lose a lot of the interoperability and choices in products that you get with someone like Milestone, etc. that only does management S/W.

Someone needs to settle the ONVIF /PSIA thing (VHS/ Beta, anyone?) and get on with it. That will be a great day for software designers when they don't have to write new drivers every week.

i guess you would consider ONSSI the bastard child of Milestone as i note in my post they use Milestone's recording engine. thing is they take it way beyond just the recording engine. they actually licensed parts from what they considered were the best of breed for each functionality and put it all together for an All In One.

the only thing i don't like from what i was reading in the api docs for ONVIF was that it strictly supports rtsp streaming only. bye bye http streaming which i understand is future looking but from certain standpoints (cellular for instance) rtsp gets blocked at the carrier level sometimes and in the case of blackberries there is NO rtsp stream support via BES and it's not going to happen. been through it with RIM for awhile now.

i guess you would consider ONSSI the bastard child of Milestone as i note in my post they use Milestone's recording engine. thing is they take it way beyond just the recording engine. they actually licensed parts from what they considered were the best of breed for each functionality and put it all together for an All In One.

the only thing i don't like from what i was reading in the api docs for ONVIF was that it strictly supports rtsp streaming only. bye bye http streaming which i understand is future looking but from certain standpoints (cellular for instance) rtsp gets blocked at the carrier level sometimes and in the case of blackberries there is NO rtsp stream support via BES and it's not going to happen. been through it with RIM for awhile now.

I made the reference about ONSSI /Milestone not as meaning to be really disparaging, just that when you ask about each other at ISC or ASIS, they look at you funny, and say "oh, well, that's,er,um, well, hang on and let me finish with this guy over here" and never give a straight answer.

What's your take on PSIA as a comparison? It seems to address a broader scope of interoperability with other devices that might be useful.

lol, i guess because i was on the development side i didn't get that answer from ONSSI. they were very straightforward with me. Milestone on the other hand I had a very bad experience with. I tried to utilize their api and by my 2nd question to support they wanted to start charging me some crazy amount of money just to answer basic api questions. and the api is supposedly open but i guess for support on the api there is a large hourly cost. weird. didn't like the way they handled it either. basically rude to say the least.

I do like ONSSI though. good product development overall and the employees are great to deal with. Jason was the product manager at the time and was very approachable for any kind of question IMO.

I have not been approached by any company doing PSIA like I have with ONVIF yet so I haven't bothered to look to deep into it. In most cases we need a demo cam to test against so just looking at the api docs right now doesn't do much. Of course if they are strictly rtsp too then this will be the same issue.

Luxriot is the way to go! I have used many NVR systems and VMS Software and they have amazing support with hardware and software. I have used Intransa and others which i wasnt to impressed with. Luxriot for the cost and quality of the hardware plus their support in which they offer 3 years warranty and free updates which is unheard of. For more information you can go to their website www.luxriot.com and also call them up to answer any questions. Hope this helps