bpzle

Acti Megapixel Cameras

I have little experience with IP cameras but just ordered the Acti ACM-4200, ACM-3511, and ACM-1231 to demo. Thoughts or suggestions on each? I like the price point for budget concerns. I'm mainly interested in how they perform in little to no light.

I have the 7411 and the 1231... great pictures, though IR illuminators are required for very low light situations.

The 1231 has integrated IR... but it's weak, and only covers about half the advertised distance.

Just got in a 1231 and a 3511 for testing. I'll be posting demos and comparisons to analog in a couple of days. The only problem so far is that the IR cut filter can't make up it's mind where it wants to be on the 1231. I may have to send it back unless I can find something that I'm doing wrong that's causing it to go back and forth. Haven't setup the 3511 yet. I can tell you from testing last night that a decent analog will whip the sh1t out of it in low/no light (only confirming what others here have already said). Daytime images are what I would expect for a lower-end mp cam. I do think the lens that ships with them is fairly crappy...again, to be expected for the price.

Just got in a 1231 and a 3511 for testing. I'll be posting demos and comparisons to analog in a couple of days. The only problem so far is that the IR cut filter can't make up it's mind where it wants to be on the 1231. I may have to send it back unless I can find something that I'm doing wrong that's causing it to go back and forth. Haven't setup the 3511 yet. I can tell you from testing last night that a decent analog will whip the sh1t out of it in low/no light (only confirming what others here have already said). Daytime images are what I would expect for a lower-end mp cam. I do think the lens that ships with them is fairly crappy...again, to be expected for the price.

The Acti cameras use photocells to change from day to night. Adjust your light level higher or lower and this should stop. What Megapixel cameras are you comparing them to? What exposure settings are you using?

The Acti cameras use photocells to change from day to night. Adjust your light level higher or lower and this should stop. What Megapixel cameras are you comparing them to? What exposure settings are you using?

thanks TWG- I'll give that a shot tonight to see if it helps. When you say "light level"..can you provide more details?

"What Megapixel cameras are you comparing them to?" I said that I would be comparing them to analog...dont' know of any analog megapixel cameras

I'm on-site at a client's at the moment...I'll check the exposure settings tonight when I get back to the office and let you know.

thanks TWG- I'll give that a shot tonight to see if it helps. When you say "light level"..can you provide more details?

"What Megapixel cameras are you comparing them to?" I said that I would be comparing them to analog...dont' know of any analog megapixel cameras

I'm on-site at a client's at the moment...I'll check the exposure settings tonight when I get back to the office and let you know.

Light level = Lux level

With ACTI you can't change the value when the camera will change from B/W to color.... You can do this with Arecont and Mobotix

What other megapixel cameras have you had experience with? was the question I was asking

You told me to adjust my light level higher or lower and this should stop but then tell me that the models in question have unchangeable values? Forgive me but I'm not following???

I just told you the other day that I have no experience with any other IP cameras....trying to make me feel bad?

You told me to adjust my light level higher or lower and this should stop but then tell me that the models in question have unchangeable values? Forgive me but I'm not following???

I just told you the other day that I have no experience with any other IP cameras....trying to make me feel bad?

Just the light level in the room

Why compare them to analog cameras? Megapixel will have better day time images and analog will have a better night images. Been done already

Why compare them to analog cameras? Megapixel will have better day time images and analog will have a better night images. Been done already

...but it's outside

Because I thought other users may benefit from seeing actual examples. As you can probably tell, I'm not that experienced and I gain from seeing actual examples. You seem fairly experienced and have certainly been there-done that but other users may not be so fortunate...I didn't say I was doing it for your just your benefit.

...but it's outside

Because I thought other users may benefit from seeing actual examples. As you can probably tell, I'm not that experienced and I gain from seeing actual examples. You seem fairly experienced and have certainly been there-done that but other users may not be so fortunate...I didn't say I was doing it for your just your benefit.

Then their might be a problem with the camera. Does it happen all day?

"Daytime images are what I would expect for a lower-end mp cam. I do think the lens that ships with them is fairly crappy...again, to be expected for the price."

I was commenting on this statement you made. What other Megapixel cameras are you basing this off of. Most of the time guys that have never seen megapixel cameras go this looks like **** becuase the only thing they can compare it to is HDTV and digital cameras.

It is fine during the day but at night one minute it can see IR, the next it can't. Cycling the power from 1 to many times usually fixes it. That's why I'm thinking it may be faulty.

I'm a newbie but not quite that bad. I am comparing it to other 1.3 Acti camera samples posted on this forum and elsewhere that are using a lens other than out of-the-box. Here's an example of a 4200, I'm sure you've seen it already... about half-way down the page.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11322&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

It's just on my porch for now so I'm using the adapter that came with it...PoE switch isn't in yet.

"But keep in mind the 1231 and 3511 you can't change the lens" I understand. I made a general comment that I thought the lens that the acti's come with is less than desirable...no models mentioned.

That's the thread that I read that got me wanting to post these comparisons in the first place....don't know what I'd do w/ out you TWG!

Sweet. Can't wait to compare